Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS253 Lab 3.2

when i run
student@ubuntu:~$ lxc-create --template download --name unpriv-cont-user

Out put is:
Setting up the GPG keyring
ERROR: Unable to fetch GPG key from keyserver
lxc-create: unpriv-cont-user: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1616 Failed to create container from template
lxc-create: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_create.c: main: 319 Failed to create container unpriv-cont-user

can someone offer some hingts on where i went wrong

Answers

• benjakh
    benjakh Posts: 9
    edited April 2022

found this thread: https://forum.linuxfoundation.org/discussion/857326/lxc-create-fails-to-create-container

So I ran:
    setfacl -m u:100000:x ~/.local

then ran the command
    sudo sudo lxc-create -t download --name unpriv-cont-user -- -d ubuntu -r xenial -a amd64
    output:
    lxc-create: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_create.c: main: 266 Container already exists

so then i went on with the lab and ran:
    sudo lxc-start -n unpriv-cont-user -d
    output:
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: lxccontainer.c: do_lxcapi_start: 897 Ongoing container creation detected
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 308 The container failed to start
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 311 To get more details, run the container in foreground mode
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 313 Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @benjakh,

Instructions to set the access control list can be found in the lab exercise as well. The lab guide includes additional notes about optional keyserver usage, and an alternative create command. However, what causes most issues are the actual uid and gid used in commands.
    To validate that we have all correct values set, please provide the output of the following commands:

$ id

$ cat /etc/subuid

$ cat /etc/subgid

$ cat /etc/lxc/lxc-usernet

$ ls -la ~/.config/lxc/default.conf

$ cat ~/.config/lxc/default.conf

$ getfacl ~/.local

Regards,
    -Chris

• benjakh

$id
    uid=1000(benja) gid=1000(benja) groups=1000(benja),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),116(lxd)

$ cat /etc/subuid
    benja:100000:65536

$ cat /etc/subgid
    $: command not found

$ cat /etc/subgid
    benja:100000:65536
    benja@testServer:~/LFSplayground$ cat /etc/lxc/lxc-usernet

USERNAME TYPE BRIDGE COUNT

benja veth lxcbr0 10

$ ls -la ~/.config/lxc/default.conf
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 benja benja 162 Apr 20 00:51 /home/benja/.config/lxc/default.conf

$ cat ~/.config/lxc/default.conf
    lxc.net.0.type = veth
    lxc.net.0.link = lxcbr0
    lxc.net.0.flags = up
    lxc.net.0.hwaddr = 00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx
    lsc.idmap = u 0 231072 65536
    lsc.idmap = g 0 231072 65536

$ getfacl ~/.local
    getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names

file: home/benja/.local

owner: root

group: root

user::rwx
    user:100000:--x
    user:231072:--x
    group::r-x
    mask::r-x
    other::r-x********

• chrispokorni
    edited April 2022

Thank you for the detailed output, @benjakh.

As suspected, there are inconsistencies in the UID and GID values used to configure the system. Please revisit all the post lxc installation steps in the lab guide, steps that configure the system and ensure that the proper UID and GID values are used. Reading carefully exercise descriptions should help in picking the correct values for your environment. After all, there seems to be only one set of UID and GID on your system, so the task should be pretty straight forward.

I would also recommend ensuring that no typos are included in the default.conf file, as it seems to be the case in the output above.

Regards,
    -Chris

• benjakh

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question

• benjakh

Thanks again, after reviewing the instructions, i am able to see where i mess up

• I have another error with this lab related to the keyserver. When I run:

lxc-create --name unpriv-cont-user --template download --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com

I get:

lxc-create: unrecognized option '--keyserver'

• Hi @dmwpepper,

An additional double-dash is expected:

lxc-create --name unpriv-cont-user --template download -- --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com

Regards,
    -Chris

• gfevans
    gfevans Posts: 1
    edited May 2023

Im having an issue with this lab as well at the same or similar point Whenever i try to start the unpriv-cont-user i get an error running it in the foreground for more logs i got the following

student@ubuntu:~$ lxc-start -n unpriv-cont-user -F
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: network.c: lxc_create_network_unpriv_exec: 2976 lxc-user-nic failed to configure requested network: cmd/lxc_user_nic.c: 1206: main: Quota reached
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: start.c: lxc_spawn: 1843 Failed to create the network
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: start.c: __lxc_start: 2074 Failed to spawn container "unpriv-cont-user"
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 306 The container failed to start
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 311 Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options

checking the cat's listed earlier in this thread i dont see any typos or mistakes with my uid or gid

student@ubuntu:~$ id
    uid=1001(student) gid=1002(student) groups=1002(student),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),118(netdev),119(lxd),1000(ubuntu),1001(google-sudoers)
    student@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/subuid
    ubuntu:100000:65536
    student:165536:65536
    student@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/subgid
    ubuntu:100000:65536
    student:165536:65536
    student@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/lxc/lxc-usernet
    # USERNAME TYPE BRIDGE COUNT
    student vethc lxcbr0 10
    student@ubuntu:~$ ls -la ~/.config/lxc/default.conf
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 student student 162 May 10 17:27 /home/student/.config/lxc/default.conf
    student@ubuntu:~$ cat ~/.config/lxc/default.conf
    lxc.net.0.type = veth
    lxc.net.0.link = lxcbr0
    lxc.net.0.flags = up
    lxc.net.0.hwaddr = 00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx
    lxc.idmap = u 0 165536 65536
    lxc.idmap = g 0 165536 65536
    student@ubuntu:~$ getfacl ~/.local
    getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
    # file: home/student/.local
    # owner: student
    # group: student
    user::rwx
    user:165536:--x
    group::r-x
    mask::r-x
    other::r-x

• chrispokorni

Hi @gfevans,

I would recommend fixing the typo in /etc/lxc/lxc-usernet and then try again.

Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training