Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Centos 8 stream Firewall not working

Hi everyone,
I am using the VM iso files that came with a linux course here ( https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/VIRTUAL_MACHINE_IMAGES/ ) to create VMs of Centos 8 stream, I am trying to activate the Firewalld and it doesn't want to be activated no matter what I did ( did searched online and there was number of reasons why this is happening, I updated python, the system, uninstalled and installed the Firewall again...etc, but nothing seems to work.

1- Have anyone faced this problem?
2- Any pointers on how to solve it?

Comments

• When you are logging into your VM machine you will be given the choice between CentOS 4.18 and
    CentOS 5.15.
    Turns out the Firewall is active on CentOS 4.18 but not on CentOS 5.15 , I have no idea why and I already tried some solutions that didn't work, I will use CentOS 4.18 for now and will get back later to this problem to try to understand it more, I already have number of possible reasons on my list that needs more investigation

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

I assume you mean kernel 4.18 or kernel 5.15. 4.18 is the stock distro kernel and the one you should use. (and it should be the default). The 5.15 (It probably should be 5.16?) is for kernel development courses and should not be used here. The README file from where you downloaded this explains this. So you are fine, just use the CentOS-supplied 4.18 kernel.

• yasserawadd
    yasserawadd Posts: 3
    edited March 2022

Yes, I meant CentOS 8 - Kernel 4.18 and 5.15 , thanks for the clarification and for your help> @coop said:

I assume you mean kernel 4.18 or kernel 5.15. 4.18 is the stock distro kernel and the one you should use. (and it should be the default). The 5.15 (It probably should be 5.16?) is for kernel development courses and should not be used here. The README file from where you downloaded this explains this. So you are fine, just use the CentOS-supplied 4.18 kernel.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

You're welcome. It is not exactly an FAQ, but the custom kernels have been compiled with many things turned off just to speed compilation as in kernel development courses there is a bunch of modify->compile->run cycles. For sys-admin courses there is generally no need to run a custom kernel, although 4.18 is getting old; the other enterprise distributions have much newer kernels, although Red Hat/CentOS does do a lot of back porting of newer code. RHEL 9 will be out sometime this year and CentOS-9-Stream is actually out already and has a lot of newer stuff, but was not quite ready for prime-time last time I evaluated it, although it works just fine. It will be quite some time before it becomes the platform for exams and courses I'm sure

Categories

Upcoming Training