Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Getting errors in "dmesg_current_err"

As stated in the course ## LD103 (Chapter: 7, section: Building and Installing Your First Kernel) that:

In general, dmesg should be clean, with no emerg, alert, crit, and err level messages. If you see any of these, it might indicate some hardware and/or kernel problem.

When I checked, I am getting below errors:-

$ cat dmesg_current_err 
x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.
ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.IPPF._STA.POS1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20210331/psargs-330)
ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.IPPF._STA due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20210331/psparse-529)
ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.IPPF._STA.POS1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20210331/psargs-330)
ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.IPPF._STA due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20210331/psparse-529)
Bluetooth: hci0: setting interface failed (110)
usb 1-10: Failed to suspend device, error -110
Bluetooth: hci0: urb 000000006e48cddf failed to resubmit (113)

Except dmesg_current_err, others dmesg_current_emerg, dmesg_current_crit, dmesg_current_alert looks clean.
I don't know how to resolve it. Could anyone please help me resolve this? Thanks in Advance :)

Best Answers

• ShuahKhanLF
    ShuahKhanLF Posts: 146
    Answer ✓

Do these errors show up on the distro kernel as well? If so these aren't regressions. You can verify if these are indeed regressions. Also these are ACPI BIOS errors, you might hve to update your BIOS to get rid of them.

• ShuahKhanLF
    ShuahKhanLF Posts: 146
    Answer ✓

Not sure - sounds like you might have installed Ubuntu server version - These messages don't appear to be critical for what you have to do.

Answers

• Ok, but I don't know whether distro kernel shows these errors. How can I check them ?
    Is these errors are related to screen or display. I am asking this because when I use windows OS, then sometimes my screen starts flickering. And there I tried to update drivers but doesn't work. Whereas while using Linux OS, there is no display or screen flickering occurs. So, I thought may be some hardware problems.

• I am getting these errors just after GRUB menu and just before login page.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vq2rCqnVfUcq3GljfYLhAUHiTABISSa7/view?usp=sharing

Though theses errors were not coming in distro kernel. These errors are coming after installing these new kernel.

• I am not sure what you system config looks like. Do you have Windows and Linux dual booting? You would check dmesg on a running kernel. If you can boot a distro kernel you can check dmesg on that one. It might be easier for you to use virtual machine for Linux install.

• Hello @ShuahKhanLF ma'am. Yes, I had dual booting. And I removed it 2-3 days back, while removing it, I faced many problems like free up the partitions in which Ubuntu was present and then extending free partitions to windows. For those all these I also need to go hp service center. But at present I have installed ubuntu on my virtual machine. And again after compiling, building and installing new kernel, after rebooting when I checked > dmesg -t -l err . I got new errors.

$ dmesg -t -l err
    systemd[1]: Failed to mount RPC Pipe File System.
    [drm:vmw_host_log [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to send host log message.

The last two errs i.e.

were common in both new kernel as well as distros kernel. So, it's not the problem. But I don't know how to deal with this err

systemd[1]: Failed to mount RPC Pipe File System.

I checked many internet resources but didn't get any proper resource to resolve this.

• Ok, sounds great. If it doesn't causes any problem, then fine. And one thing more do I had to install other than Ubuntu Server Version. If it so then let please me know.

Categories

Upcoming Training