Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What Does the Cloud Mean for My Business?

The Cloud

A specific definition for “the cloud” is the cause of much controversy on blogs, in popular tech publications and even within my own office. The prevalent definition is based on the fact that clouds are constantly changing, much like the Internet itself. Whatever your definition may be, “the cloud” certainly encompasses many different technologies. A few of these include cloud computing and cloud web hosting.

For full article, please visit http://webhostinghelpguy.inmotionhosting.com/web-hosting/what-is-the-cloud-and-what-does-it-mean-for-my-business/

Comments

• I think the fundamentals of cloud computing is the ability to transpose any workload from one location (system) to another. In short it is to make the application hardware agnostics.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I think that a quick definition of the term is "location independent computing". Users don't need to know, or care, where the systems are that run their applications. They can be local, remotely hosted, and possibly moved without their knowledge or impact. When you talk to the "cloud", you just know that your data is "up there somewhere", but where it is exactly can be indeterminate. It might actually be in many places at the same time, and which instance you communicate with can depend upon many things, such as load, network traffic, data stream costs that vary depending upon the time, etc.
  • I think that a quick definition of the term is "location independent computing". Users don't need to know, or care, where the systems are that run their applications.

I'll accept that definition. However, I'm not sure that users don't need to know where their applications are running. Users running apps that require fast, high-volume data transfer will want to run on a server that is close to their operations location.

Furthermore, running certain applications on cloud computers with servers all over the globe may create complex legal issues.

Thanks for your comment!
    Web Hosting Help Guy
    http://webhostinghelpguy.inmotionhosting.com
  • I think the fundamentals of cloud computing is the ability to transpose any workload from one location (system) to another.
    \
    In theory, yes - the cloud should be completely device-independent. However, cloud computing servers still run on actual, physical servers, and most cloud setups are therefore not platform-independent.

Also, software drivers may have to be installed on the cloud's "virtual hard drive" to run peripherals - a potentially difficult task.

Thanks for your comment!
    Web Hosting Help Guy
  • Unknown
    edited September 2017

or business owners, the benefits are enticing. But if you are in the profession of supplying IT support services, Cloud Computing presents many challenges. For instance, instead of making technical support easier, it makes it much more complicated. Previously, a business would deal with one or two centralized support sources. Now, with multiple applications delivered over the Internet, a business is forced to deal with multiple vendors for support. That’s what we call “fragmentation of services.” And that is one of the biggest challenges that we see for our clients. So one should go for their shared Cloud business such as by using Drop Box or Box etc or either choose their ownCloud for Business

• SamShowner
    SamShowner Posts: 1
    edited September 2017

Cloud means a lot for the organization in the present times. Cloud facilitates rapid scalability, greater integration and ability to innovate fast. Cloud implementation saves a lot of money as the total cost of ownership (TCO) decreases. Organizations don't have to purchase network and storage components. Cloud providers charge only for the services you use. But modern CTOs face a lot of challenges while implementing cloud such as vendor lock-in, cloud governance, intercloud architecture, privacy risks and concerns over disaster recovery.

• @webhostinghelpguy said:
    I think that a quick definition of the term is "location independent computing". Users don't need to know, or care, where the systems are that run their applications.

I'll accept that definition. However, I'm not sure that users don't need to know where their applications are running. Users running apps that require fast, high-volume data transfer will want to run on a server that is close to their operations location.

Furthermore, running certain applications on cloud computers with servers all over the globe may create complex legal issues.

Thanks for your comment!
    Web Hosting Help Guy

A specific definition for “the cloud” is the cause of much controversy on blogs, in popular tech publications and even within my own office. The prevalent definition is based on the fact that clouds are constantly changing, much like the Internet itself. Whatever your definition may be, “the cloud” certainly encompasses many different technologies. A few of these include cloud computing and cloud web hosting.

• @malichiyatsia said:

@webhostinghelpguy said:
    I think that a quick definition of the term is "location independent computing". Users don't need to know, or care, where the systems are that run their applications.

FileZilla
    Malwarebytes

Thanks for your commentWeb Hosting Help Guy
    Web Hosting Help Guy")

• aunsuhel
    aunsuhel Posts: 1
    edited January 2022

The cloud means a great deal for you as a business owner as cloud computing solutions will help you provide interrupted services to your users, that too on the fly. Besides this, as most of the businesses are migrating to the cloud, it makes a lot of sense to go in the same direction.

• avasiliiev
    avasiliiev Posts: 1

The discussion around 'the cloud' always generates a lot of debate, but one thing is indisputable: its constant evolution and change. In this context, the concept of cloud agnostic architecture emerges as a key solution for achieving flexibility and resilience. By adopting an approach that is not tied to any specific cloud provider, companies can efficiently manage their resources, optimizing costs and enhancing the reliability of their systems. This enables businesses to be more adaptable to changes and innovations in the tech world, which is undoubtedly an advantage in today's dynamic environment.

Categories

Upcoming Training