Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 4.6 Install crictl : issue with starting crio.service

as I try to start crio.service the service does not start, prompting the following message:

sudo systemctl start crio.service
Job for crio.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status crio.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

systemctl status crio.service
● crio.service - Container Runtime Interface for OCI (CRI-O)
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/crio.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-12-28 19:21:48 UTC; 5s ago
Docs: https://github.com/cri-o/cri-o
Process: 17113 ExecStart=/usr/bin/crio $CRIO_CONFIG_OPTIONS $CRIO_RUNTIME_OPTIONS $CRIO_STORAGE_OPTIONS $CRIO_NETWORK_OPTIONS $CRIO_METRICS_OPTIONS (code=ex

Main PID: 17113 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Therefore I am not able to get a successful response; once I do:

sudo crictl version

FATA[0002] connect: connect endpoint 'unix:///var/run/crio/crio.sock', make sure you are running as root and the endpoint has been started: context deadline exceeded

and even if I run as root I get the same issue

root@dev-node19:~# sudo crictl version
FATA[0002] connect: connect endpoint 'unix:///var/run/crio/crio.sock', make sure you are running as root and the endpoint has been started: context deadline exceeded

since we are using crio for lab exercises this is an important issue to address before continuing with the class... could someone help here?

Comments

• After checking the crio log, possibly it is related to:

Dec 28 19:58:57 dev-node19 crio[18596]: time="2021-12-28 19:58:57.220946560Z" level=fatal msg="validating runtime config: runtime validation: invalid runtime runtime_path for runtime 'runc': \"stat /usr/lib/cri-o-runc/sbin/runc: no such file or directory\"" file="crio/main.go:354"

Dec 28 19:58:57 dev-node19 systemd[1]: crio.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

• what show you sudo journalctl -xe -u crio.service ?

• Does anyone here know what is the error is here?

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @nicocerquera,

Can you provide a history of commands executed to install crictl, and the version of cri-o?

Regards,
    -Chris

• issue resolved thank you

• @nicocerquera said:
    issue resolved thank you

How?

• void0
    void0 Posts: 1

I'm no easily offended, but saying "issue resolved" without giving an explanation for future readers is the meanest thing you can do.

Anyway I had the same issue and for me it was because I used Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for the VM instance image. Once I changed to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS everything was working fine and I was able to proceed with the course. I hope this helps someone.

Categories

Upcoming Training