Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 2.1 Freezer not exists (Solution)

Options
devdorrejo
devdorrejo Posts: 24
edited December 2021 in LFS253 Class Forum

Hello, if someone are using a distro where the freezer directory not exists, you can create it this way:

sudo mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer
sudo mount -t cgroup -ofreezer freezer /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer

That way no matter the distro you are using you can complete this Lab.

Comments

• corey44
    Options

Thanks, this worked perfectly.

• degido
    degido Posts: 1
    Options

Thanks!!!

• robertfreemanday
    Options

I know this is an older post and marked resolved, but I was wondering how/if it was intended to be persistent across restarts? The lab seems to imply that /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer/ exists on installation.

Is there a deb package that is missing and should be there?

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,165
    Options

Hi @robertfreemanday,

You are correct, on the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS server the .../cgroup/freezer/ directory exists. That is the recommended OS release as presented in lab exercise 1.1 of the lab guide.

However, as the original post of this discussion suggests, that directory may not be available on all releases and/or distributions. For those scenarios, the suggested workaround may be applied.

Regards,
    -Chris

• robertfreemanday
    Options

Thanks for your reply, @chrispokorni !! I know this was an aged thread, but still topical.

I apologize that I wasn't clear. Is there an Ubuntu package from other versions that would need applied to persist that filesystem setup? The work around does not persist between reboots for my version (22.04.x).

Thanks!

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,165
    Options

Hi @robertfreemanday,

On Ubuntu 22.04 the cgroups behave differently, and the lab produces different results that are inconsistent with the ones from Ubuntu 20.04 (the recommended release/version for this course).

Regards,
    -Chris

• hricky
    hricky Posts: 16
    Options

Hi,
    I know Ubuntu 20.04 is the recommended release/version for this course, but since Control Group v2 has recently become the default in some distributions, I think it's useful to know how to modify the lab workflow to handle it, without adding the cgroup v1 workaround. So I tested some cgroup v2 approaches on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.15.0-1051-kvm x86_64) and Fedora CoreOS 39.20240225.1.0 (Linux 6.7.5-200.fc39.x86_64). If any of the other students and forum moderators think it would be useful, I can share them here or in another post for further discussion.

Categories

Upcoming Training