Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Anyone fail LFCS?

2»

Comments

• I guess it all comes down to bad marketing. They sell you a bundle as if the course is the solution to the problem of passing the exam. Weird, right?

• Thanks for sharing your experience @mikerossiter . For me, I already knew that I was borderline passing/failing for LFCS before receiving the score report, but incidentally, I had a similar experience (felt excellent but did bad) with JSNSD very recently.

• why2
    why2 Posts: 3

I failed my first exam. I was surprised that they gave me a question how to create and deploy a Docker container. There is no such thing in the preparation course LFS211, and I was not prepared! Is the LFS201 or LFS211 is the right preparation?

• Hi @why2 ,

Have you seen Chapter 29. Containers Overview on LFS201?

Luis.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

LFS201 does indeed have discussion and labs on Docker containers, in the chapter titled "Containers".

However, please do not content on specific exam questions as it is a violation of the confidentiality agreement you entered into when taking the exam.

• It would be great to have a section about "Essential Commands" showing not only the basics, but also the most important options. This is also true for all the other topics covered in the exam. Don't get me wrong, but the course does not prepare you for the "Real World" Exam properly.

• coop
    edited January 2021

you can find out the important options for virtually any command by doing --help, as in cp --help or of course you can get more detailed information with man cp . In the real world that ** is ** how admins and developers remember things, rather than looking for a set of (digital) cue cards. Of course there are students that prepare them on their own as a learning device (what passes through your fingers may register in your brain). If we were to overemphasize these kinds of reductionist lists there would be students who assume that is all they need to know. So it is against my philosophy, as course author :( I do keep a couple of specialized cheat sheets around, not for basic things but for things that are specialized and I'd sometimes forget, like a list of pacman commands (for Archlinux), a Rosetta stone for apt <-> rpm, etc. (like how to I do rpm -qf /bin/somefileon Debian, etc.

Anyway, the best thing for you to do create such documentation on your own, but remember you cannot bring that into an exam :)

• Hi @avmentzer ,

It would be great to have a section about "Essential Commands" showing not only the basics, but also the most important options.

I think the most important command options are these you need to apply for certain needs. Not always you will use the same options. Let's think about the 'find' command; it has many options, and any Linux Sysadmin need to use the right options for the current task. So there is no point to make a list with options, because we have the man pages, as Coop said. So, you really need to know what the options are, and how to use them. Also, it's pretty important to know what the capabilities are for each command, and where you can find them easily and fast.

Regards,
    Luis.

• Made my day :)

Altough I was completely new to Linux I passed the exam at the 2nd attempt.

I encourage everyone not to give up!

Alexander

• Congrats! @avmentzer ...me too i get it...So what to do next?

• kk23
    kk23 Posts: 1
    edited February 2021

Congrats @avmentzer @olivieraf

Did you use CentOS or Ubuntu and if so what version was it?

Thank you

• Congrats @olivieraf , well done 👍.

I would take a few days off to calm down a little bit.

@kk Thank you 🙏. I got used to CentOS, I can’t get warm with Ubuntu. Which version it was? I don’t now, but I think the version is not a big deal anyhow.

• Hello folks,

Planing to take the exam at the end of the month, do you mind share any tips/tricks for my last preparation days ?
    i will complete the course tomorrow but i still feel short about practice exercises/exams, do you have any ideas regarding this ?

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.
    Regards,

• christopherbrian
    christopherbrian Posts: 2
    edited December 2021

I failed...twice. I was not as prepared as I thought I was when I took it the first time. Then, the exam expired about 20 days after my results came back so I had to schedule the retake for the day before expiration. Failed that one too. Although, my score doubled from the first attempt to the second. So that is a positive.

I ran out of time. Need to be faster. I'll lab.

Its not an easy test. Linux is not easy to learn.

Quitting is easy. I am not a quitter.

I got back on my horse and will pass the test on my third attempt. One think I wish I had was more scripting instruction. Can anyone recommend a resource to me. The knowledge of bash scripting is not not sticking with me.

• coop

https://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php is an excellent and detailed reference to all things bash including scripts, and I believe it is given as a resource in the course. And it is free to download

• @coop said:
    https://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php is an excellent and detailed reference to all things bash including scripts, and I believe it is given as a resource in the course. And it is free to download

Thank you.

• Hello everyone,

Even though I do not see much activity lately in this discussion, I would rather use an existing one than create my own. My issue is that I failed my LFCS test twice, second retake was last week. I, however, don't really understand how I could have lost 39% based on how I personally asses my performance on the exam. I have skipped only 1 out of 17 tasks and made 2-3 partial errors in the remaining tasks and still managed to fail.

My problem with the exam-score concept is, that I do not know what else I have done wrong and thus don´t even know how/if to prepare for another retake. I honestly do not know what I could do better in order to make the required 67% other than learning the topic of that 1 task I completely skipped.

As the test result provides no details on individual tasks nor on the errors made, I am at this point pretty clueless how to handle the situation. Just trying once more (and paying for that) is not really an option, as I don't know what I could significantly improve. Colleagues from the exam-support team haven't been that helpful, as they only kept offering further paid options and discounts.

Has anyone had a similar experience and has any peace of advice on how to proceed? I would be very grateful for that. It would be such a shame if it stayed like this, as I have invested quite some time in learning and practicing and do feel relatively confident about the gained knowledge from the past few months.

Thank you in advance and have a good one
    Branko

• @branko.dosenovic I had the same experience as you. The feedback from the exam is useless (I say that with no grudge), as we can't know what to improve or exactly what we did wrong. A complete score report with a breakdown of all individual questions would help, I think. While that's not implemented, all we can do is take a somewhat wild guess on what might have gone wrong.

Categories

Upcoming Training