Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS201 - Exercise 19.2 (filesystem quotas)

Options

Dear @luisviveropena

As we discussed today. Once started edquota for a user this temp file is opened (shown below in image) and by the exercise we have to set soft and hard limits for blocks (500 and 1000)
As you already explained to me size of block is 1024 bytes. Like this we can calculate limit we wish to make. Can you please explain, what are inodes purpose in this particular file and how to use it?

Comments

• marejovanovic
    marejovanovic Posts: 7
    edited October 2021
    Options

@luisviveropena ,meanwhile I managed to get an answer on my question... Inode hard limit number is maximum number of files/folders allowed to be stored for user or group in mountpoint where we are setting a quota limits. While as you already told me to check in man pages, block is expresed in kibibyte by default (1block = 1024bytes). As per man pages we can also append M for Mebibyte (1Mebibyte = 1.04858 Megabyte). To avoid confusion Inode is not directly related to -i in ls command, as we can see below inode from ls command give us higher values. Also I noticed that if folder belong to user inode will count it as well, but when mount point belong to other user it will not be counted. Man pages for edquota command doesn't explain inode option very clear. Please notify me if im wrong regarding this. Thank you for your help.

• luisviveropena
    Options

Hi @marejovanovic,

You are right, that information is not in the man page for edquota(8). I found a good resource in the Red Hat manual for quotas:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/managing_file_systems/limiting-storage-space-usage-with-quotas_managing-file-systems#assigning-quotas-per-user_configuring-disk-quotas

==> "The inodes column shows how many inodes the user is currently using".

So, that's it. And you just need to configure the soft and hard limits (after you configured the system to work with quotas).

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training