Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What is the purpose of chapter 5? Key JavaScript concepts?

This is a course about NodeJS. Chapter 5 is about some advanced coding methods. Why is that in a NodeJS course? Is it out of context and doesn't belong here.

Even the title "Key JavaScript concepts" is highly questionable. An example of a key JS concept could be the difference of const, var, let.

Would the author please try and Google "Key JavaScript concepts"?

JS/ES* is a very large language, so "key JavaScript concepts" would be an entire course/exam of its own.

Please remove this chapter. It doesn't belong in a Node course.

Comments

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

Hi @mje,

The course content is developed to cover the domains and competencies of the JSNAD exam, and has received very good reviews and ratings from prior learners who have taken it. We appreciate your suggestions, and they will be reviewed by the course author. In the meantime, we would like to ask that you please revise your tone, to be more polite when providing constructive feedback.

Regards,
    Flavia
    The Linux Foundation Training Team

• mje
    mje Posts: 12

Hi Flavia

Thanks for your reply. When you contact the author can you then link to my other 3 posts which contains errors I have found the exercises?

I can tell you why my tone is the way it is. In chapter 1 it says

Resources for this course can be found online. Making updates to this course takes time. Therefore, if there are any changes in between updates, you can always access course updates, as well as the course resources online:

I were chocked to read this. Had it been a free course, then low quality and bugs are to be expected, but here the author starts out with in chapter 1 that he doesn't really care about the quality of the course and have no interest in spending time on improving it.

Going though the exercises I am again chocked that they have so many mistakes. As I write in one of the posts, have there been no QA on this? This is a course that should prepare one for an exam, so I hope LF agrees with me that mistakes are not acceptable?

In case I find mistakes in the exam, who should I contact?

• fcioanca
    edited September 2021

Hi @mje,

I would like to clarify that chapter 1 uses mostly standard language across all of our courses, including the paragraph you mention, which is not written by the course author himself, but it is added by The Linux Foundation Team, in order to set proper expectations - specifically related to that paragraph, course updates do indeed take time not just when it comes to content development, but also course design and implementation. There are multiple people involved in the different aspects of course maintenance. In addition, we are covering an open source technology that is dynamic and continues to evolve, hence, things may break over time, but they are updated. In the spirit of open source software and community, polite and respectful tone along with constructive feedback is highly encouraged, so please adhere to such standards.

Any questions or concerns related to exams must be directed to Customer Support at trainingsupport.linuxfoundation.org.

Regards,
    Flavia

• mje

Hi Flavia

I won't comment further on this topic.

The link you proved points to this thread. I don't suppose a complaint about an exam should be in a forum?

• fcioanca

Hi @mje,

I am not sure why the link was not working properly, but it has been fixed: https://trainingsupport.linuxfoundation.org/

• Hi @mje,

Thank you for your feedback. The course author will review your suggestions and make necessary changes to the course, if needed.

Last update to LFW211 took place on September 2nd, 2021. Since the course launched, both content and course resources were frequently updated to address changes to the technology as well as students’ feedback. Stating that the course author doesn’t care about the quality of the course and have no interest in spending time on improving it is harmful.

If you have any other suggestions on how to improve the content, please feel free to share them with us.

Best,
    Magda

• mje

Hi Flavia

Thanks for the updated link.

• mje

Hi Magda

It is much appreciated that the feedback will be reviewed.

Stating that the course author doesn’t care about the quality of the course and have no interest in spending time on improving it is harmful.

Put your self in the customers position. You take the course for the first time, and the very first thing you read is chapter 1. As a customer that have paid a lot of money for a product, that is not really what you want to read.

The author does not mention anything about that chapter 1 is not his statement or opinion, but something LF have added later, then it becomes the authors statement. If the author doesn't agree with the content of chapter 1, I don't suppose LF would allow him to write that he doesn't share LF's opinion. This is just to explain why the customer will get the impression that the author doesn't care about the quality of the course.

If LF don't want to give the above described impression, then perhaps LF should rephrase chapter 1?

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    edited September 2021

I can tell you why my tone is the way it is. In chapter 1 it says

Resources for this course can be found online. Making updates to this course takes time. Therefore, if there are any changes in between updates, you can always access course updates, as well as the course resources online:

you miss the meaning and purpose of this statement. It is a completely positive one, not at all negative

This is not a course in a static subject that requires revisions only rarely, say in the "C" language. It is training on subjects which are extremely dynamic and often change upstream and teaching material has to adapt. All Linux Foundation courses are updated far more frequently than anything else of a similar nature and depth, it just cannot be done everyday as this is disruptive to the learners and changes have to be cached. LFW211 has been updated 10 times since its inception a little more than a year ago in fact. That's quite a bit and it shows attentiveness of its authors and the instructional design staff to the many comments, suggested improvements, errors fixed due to student input.

In addition, there are often areas which may seen irrelevant to you or unneccessary, etc, but which are valuable to other students. You don't know what they are thinking. Quite a few thousand have taken this course rather happily without such complaints. So please send in any helpful critiques or suggestions, but don't try to rewrite the course wholesale to fit your perceived dimensions.

Thanks for your comments and they will receive consideration as much as possible.

• mje

Ok, that is possive indeed, if update is defined the way you describe. Very impressive in fact.

To me an update are bug fixes, where new or improved content are new versions. So when I read the chapter you can imagine I read it as bug fixes will be corrected when we feel like it.

I can't imagine I am the first to interpret the chapter like that, perhaps your reply could be adapted to the chapter, as there is no room for misinterpretation in your formulation?

• Node is a platform, JavaScript is the language. The key concepts are key for the level of experience this course is aimed at. Updates are for bug fixes (as they become known), and to keep in lock step with certification updates (which is every year late Oct or early Nov). The certification is updated based on constant tracking of language updates and industry trends.

This discussion has been closed.

Categories

Upcoming Training