Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 28.2 error: Error connecting to graphical console: Error opening Spice console...

Hi there,

I'm using Xubuntu 18.04.5 LTS which is based on Ubuntu 18.04.5. My machine is too slow to run Ubuntu but Xubuntu runs great.

The problem I'm having with this lab is that when I get to step 6 and start the VM to install Tiny Core Linux, I get this error message on the screen and nothing happens.

If it's too hard to see in the screenshot, it says "Error connecting to a graphical console: Error opening Spice console, SpiceClientGtk missing.

I don't know what this is for or how to get it. It seems to be an alternative to vnc but I don't know why I would need a remote control app for a local VM. I tried using apt install spiceclientgtk but it didn't work.

I had the same problem in Linux Lite 5.4 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04. I went back to this older version of Xubuntu because I thought it might work.

Update: Forgot to add that I used the script to download all the packages I needed for the VM software and it says everything was ready to go for the course.

Comments

• Yay. I got past it. After searching all the available packages and seeing several that were related to spice clients, I found this one and it resolved the error. This may be different for other versions of Ubuntu/Xubuntu but if you search for spiceclientgkt or just spiceclient you should be able to find it:

$ sudo apt install gir1.2-spiceclientgtk-3.0

• Hi @paladin71 ,

I run an apt-cache search command with spiceclientgtk and the package name appeared at one:

luis@ubuntu20:~$ apt-cache search spiceclientgtk
    gir1.2-spiceclientgtk-3.0 - GTK3 widget for SPICE clients (GObject-Introspection)
    luis@ubuntu20:~$

Regards,
    Luis-

Categories

Upcoming Training