Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Docker install

Options

I just wanted to say that I had no joy installing docker as written in the lab material "sudo apt-get install docker.io" and then running the "kubeadm init". Instead chose to follow the instructions here: https://docs.docker.com/engine/install/ubuntu/.

That seemed to work for me. Obviously, only if you're running the lab in Ubuntu 18.04. I'm currently running two Lubuntu 18.04 VMs in VirtualBox on my laptop. So far so good.

Comments

• ichimanu
    ichimanu Posts: 1
    Options

Yes, if an out-of-date style of installing Docker is preferred for some reason, it would be great to have an explanation or note. I worry about getting out of sync with the lab directions...

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,165
    Options

Hi @mikerossiter , @ichimanu,

The docker.io package is still a supported Docker installation method on Ubuntu, the OS recommended for labs, which is also the OS of the certification exam environment.

Regards,
    -Chris

• mikerossiter
    Options

docker.io did work when I opted to use AWS instances instead of local virtual machines actually(Ubuntu was too high powered for my laptop hence the use of Lubuntu). It works really well but it's a shame it's not free tier for the purposes of learning. I noticed the same in a book I have where f1-micro was suggested for GCP instances but Kubernetes won't run on those anymore either.

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,165
    Options

Hi @mikerossiter,

As of late, Kubernetes requires 2 CPUs, otherwise it will not work.

Regards,
    -Chris

• yavuz
    yavuz Posts: 6
    Options

Hi, when i tried to use k8smaster.sh it gives
    "E: Package 'docker.io' has no installation candidate"
    on my 18.04 ubuntu vm node, i passed the error via installing docker manually.

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000
    Options

Hello,

What happens when you run sudo apt update? Do you get errors? Any other packages have errors? What did you use to install your vm?

Regards,

Categories

Upcoming Training