Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Weird cursor behavior. HELP!

Options

I Have a COBOL application running over iscobol platform in Linux server.

we run Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)

Kernel \r on an \m

and the command "uname -a" gave me that:

Linux trilinux 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

the problem is that when the application loads the cursor blinks on the bottom right corner of the screen. the ACTUAL location of the cursor is not there. it's in the program's text boxes and when you type it types in the right place. just the blinking is on the bottom right corner.

we use secureCRT. I have a feeling it's something about the terminfo file but I've never had to deal with it.

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    Well, the fact that your application puts the data in the correct screen positions, then both the curses subsystem and termino/termcap database are working. Is this only a problem on the console, on an Xterm in the GUI, or does it happen when remotely accessing the system as well? It may be that there is a slight difference between what RHEL is doing with the console and what your TERM setting is. After all, a lot of terminal types such as ANSI, are based on the DEC VT-100 terminal, but with changes and enhancements over time. If your TERM environment is set to any one of them, then simple curses-based programs will work, for the most part, but there will be niddling little problems like this.

So, check the documentation for the OS as to what they expect the console window to be if your are running on the console, and verify that your TERM variable is set correctly. If you are running in a GUI terminal window, make sure your environment hasn't altered the TERM setting for the window, which should be "xterm", and if running remotely, make sure it is set correctly for whatever your terminal interface program is emulating.

Categories

Upcoming Training