Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Chapter 11 - Advanced Networking - No Discussion of 802.1Q Kernel Module?

Options

Why no mention of the 802.1Q kernel module in the section on VLANs? I only see a somewhat cryptic reference to the module in the Lab (something along the lines of "if this doesn't work, upgrade your kernel"), but nothing else. Should there not be a more in-depth discussion of this?
I do find that supplementing the course material with the links provided helps, but I also have to keep my copy of The Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook next to me to fill in these kind of gaps in the presented material.

Comments

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380
    Options

Thank you for the response!
    I do not recall any exciting switches or options for the 8021q module, so there is not much to say about the module itself. Perhaps the theory discussion needs a little polishing. Thank you for letting us know.

As for the note:** If you have a problem with this exercise, you may need to reboot and choose a different kernel.**
    The Virtual Machines provided for class are used in several environments, Developer classes and Admin classes are the two main uses. Developer classes use the latest kernel that is compiled wit h the developers in mind, many kernel optional are left out to make the Kernel smaller and easier for the developer environment. Since the developer classes version is the latest many assume it is the best one to use, tid is not true. System Adminstration classes use many compiled in options like the 8021q module that is present in the packagers kernel version but not in the developer class kernel version. A developer kernel might be 5.14.0 and the supplier kernel could be Fedora (5.12.6-200.fc33.x86_64 Woekstation Edition) . In this case we would use the 5.12 kernel for the Administration classes.

I hope that clairifies the re-boot to another kernel sudgestion.

• tncummings
    tncummings Posts: 16
    Options

Developer classes use the latest kernel that is compiled wit h the developers in mind, many kernel optional are left out to make the Kernel smaller and easier for the developer environment. Since the developer classes version is the latest many assume it is the best one to use, tid is not true. System Adminstration classes use many compiled in options like the 8021q module that is present in the packagers kernel version but not in the developer class kernel version. A developer kernel might be 5.14.0 and the supplier kernel could be Fedora (5.12.6-200.fc33.x86_64 Woekstation Edition) . In this case we would use the 5.12 kernel for the Administration classes.

That makes sense! Thanks for the follow up!

Categories

Upcoming Training