Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Why select Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs Ubuntu 19.04 LTS vs Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Hi,

I am following the LabSetup-GCE video from the resources.

I noticed that he selects Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for the instances

Any particular reason?

From the video, it seems to go up to Ubuntu 19.04 LTS

I'm guessing because it's slightly outdated. On current GCE, it goes up to Ubuntu 20.04

Thanks!

Comments

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @tinomuda,

The lab guide is presented, and has been tested, on specific versions for the operating system, kubernetes environment, runtime, etc... While the content may work on other Ubuntu releases, such as 20.04 LTS , 19.04, and 19.10, the lab guide is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Using the presented Ubuntu release yields a learning environment consistent with the lab guide, and it will help with troubleshooting when it becomes necessary. Using other releases, however, and other software packages, may not produce expected results and may be more challenging to troubleshoot.

Regards,
    -Chris

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000

Hello,

In addition to what Chris mentioned the exam is still using 18.04. There are plans to go to 20.04 soon. When the exam updates I'll update the course.

Regards,

• carehart
    carehart Posts: 4

Very glad to hear the news of coming update (for the course and exam). I was surprised also when I saw that video, among the first in this class, indicating that use of v18 vs 20. (Perhaps I'd missed it if indicated earlier in preliminaries.)

As this is my first course here, I'm curious to hear how we current students will learn of that update. Would we be emailed directly, or is it our responsibility to notice a posting in the news section here?

Along the same lines, as for getting notified about any replies to this specific thread, I wondered if interested folks might be able to merely register interest to be notified if this thread itself was updated, but I could not see a way.

In fact, it's not even clear if I would get an email notification of any replies now that I have commented here. (This is my first ever comment in these forums.) Does anyone know, for either case?

Sorry to raise those separate questions here, but again other new students may well find this thread and wonder all the above. :-) Thanks

• carehart

One other suggestion while updating the video/course: note that Windows has now included an ssh client for some time, so there's less need to show putty.

I realize some would think it still important to show putty for those not on such a recent Windows version. I'm just saying it could be helpful to at least mention (if not show use of) the built-in version.

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

Hi @carehart

We post in the forum every time the course is updated. So you can definitely check the forum periodically, as this is the place to go for assistance as well as updated on course material. You should receive notifications when a new post is added to a thread you posted in, but cannot enable notifications at the course forum level.

Regards,

Flavia

The Linux Foundation Training Team

• carehart

Thanks. So that answers one of my questions as a "no", in that I had asked, "Would we be emailed directly, or is it our responsibility to notice a posting in the news section here?" You're saying we'll have to notice if/when there is even such a substantial change, which is a surprise to hear.

As for my saying, "it's not even clear if I would get an email notification of any replies now that I have commented here", I can report for later readers of this that I did indeed get an email telling me of her reply.

But to be clear, I was not asking your last point, that we "cannot enable notifications at the course forum level". Still, Thanks.

And the rest of my observations stand for consideration by the course author, Tim, if he may find them useful.

• carehart

Correction to my last comment: it seems I only got an email notification because fcioanca had mentioned me. The subject of the email said, "fcioanca mentioned you..." So it seems that such email notifications are not on by default (to be notified if someone comments in a thread I've participated in).

But I just found that that's something that IS configurable in the "preferences" feature for these forums. Again, I leave this for the benefit of other readers.

Categories

Upcoming Training