Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

WTF is arialb32.exe trying to install itself?

Whenever I install new programs through Synaptic or apt-get, my Linux Mint 8 machine tries to find and install arialb32.exe. I get an error because it can't be found. Is WINE doing this? How do I find out and how do I fix it?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I was getting a similar issue when I cancelled the grub2 installation in mid process, the ubuntu system was continuously reporting issues whenever I tried any type of process involving packages. I think it is stating that the attempted installation of ttf-mscorefonts-installer failed because it could not find the file arialb32.exe (a zipped ms package that contained the fonts). You can change your sources and attempt the installation again, the errors will disappear when the installation can be completed.
  • I didn't stop the installation in mid-process, but something else could have aborted during installation.
    Meanwhile, I searched Synaptic for mscorefonts and found that service as installed. I marked it and totally removed it. I guess I'll figure out what doesn't work properly later. I imagine it was WINE - I installed a later version...
    Did I mention? You guys rock. Thank you very much. TTYL.

BTW, I have other issues with installation sources, but on a different machine. 't'would be good if you can tell me how to low level edit them since they don't show up in the Synaptic source menu.

~Lee
  • I think it had to do with hotmail. After I uninstalled it, all the fonts on my hotmail account changed. :huh:
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have a machine with the same problem coming to me tomorrow, after I resolve the synaptic issues I will document the low level steps here.

Categories

Upcoming Training