Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Using GCE to Set Up Labs: why do I need to delete the VMs?

Hello,
I am confused by this video telling me in the end to delete the VMs I just created.

What am I supposed to do when doing the lab exercises? Do I need to recreate the VMs every time and install Kubernetes again?

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What are the best practices with dealing with the free tier of GCE for this class?

Regards, Max

Comments

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @max.pfeiffer,

The purpose of the video is to introduce users to most phases of the VMs' lifecycle. However, you do not need to delete the VMs, it will be sufficient to just stop them between uses in order to minimize and/or eliminate resource charges.

As far as the cloud provider's free tier and its limitations (which change periodically), I would recommend reading up on their policy, resource limitations, credit amount and the allowed time-frame. Then, keeping in mind the recommended VM size guide for this course, and the amount of time you expect to spend on this course, you may be able to determine whether the free tier offers enough resources for you to successfully complete this course.

Regards,
    -Chris

• Thanks for the quick reply, Chris. I know what to do now.

Categories

Upcoming Training