Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Eudyptula Challenge: Email provider sends base64 attachments and does not support POP3/IMAP

Options

I signed up for the Eudyptula Challenge with an email address from Protonmail. Protonmail does not support POP3 or IMAP unless you have a paid account in which case they let you use their bridge application to set that up. Unfortunately, I do not pay for my account, so I'm stuck using their web interface which sends base64 attachments. Unlike disabling HTML composition, I have not been able to find a setting for this. I tried changing email used for the Eudyptula Challenge, but this resulted in me being told that if I did so my progression would not be reported to the challenge.

At this point I'm out of ideas apart from paying for a Protonmail account (and given what I learnt about their support for POP3/IMAP, or rather lack thereof, I'm not super interested in doing that). What might I do about this so that I can progress?

Comments

• tanweerali908
    Options

I hope this answer does not break rules of Eudyptula Challenge. I will not talk about challenges but about email clients generally.

Use mutt. I tried alpine first and later realised that alpine converts attachments to base64. Then I moved to thunderbird there also I got same issue. Now I am using mutt, it does not cover attachments into base64 and leave them in text/plain configuration.

• gregkroahhartman
    Options

There should not be any need to have any attachments for the challenge, everything can be done as plain text emails so this should not be an issue for anyone.

• newbyte
    Options

@gregkroahhartman said:
    There should not be any need to have any attachments for the challenge, everything can be done as plain text emails so this should not be an issue for anyone.

I was thinking I'd send the files as attachments, but now that I look at it there's nothing stating that they need to be sent as such. Thank you.

Categories

Upcoming Training