Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Eudyptula Challenge: Email provider sends base64 attachments and does not support POP3/IMAP

I signed up for the Eudyptula Challenge with an email address from Protonmail. Protonmail does not support POP3 or IMAP unless you have a paid account in which case they let you use their bridge application to set that up. Unfortunately, I do not pay for my account, so I'm stuck using their web interface which sends base64 attachments. Unlike disabling HTML composition, I have not been able to find a setting for this. I tried changing email used for the Eudyptula Challenge, but this resulted in me being told that if I did so my progression would not be reported to the challenge.

At this point I'm out of ideas apart from paying for a Protonmail account (and given what I learnt about their support for POP3/IMAP, or rather lack thereof, I'm not super interested in doing that). What might I do about this so that I can progress?

Comments

• I hope this answer does not break rules of Eudyptula Challenge. I will not talk about challenges but about email clients generally.

Use mutt. I tried alpine first and later realised that alpine converts attachments to base64. Then I moved to thunderbird there also I got same issue. Now I am using mutt, it does not cover attachments into base64 and leave them in text/plain configuration.

• There should not be any need to have any attachments for the challenge, everything can be done as plain text emails so this should not be an issue for anyone.

• @gregkroahhartman said:
    There should not be any need to have any attachments for the challenge, everything can be done as plain text emails so this should not be an issue for anyone.

I was thinking I'd send the files as attachments, but now that I look at it there's nothing stating that they need to be sent as such. Thank you.

Categories

Upcoming Training