Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux on Mac

How do I Install Linux on Mac or how Can I use & practice linux commands on mac?

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

1) Use Virtual Box as a hypervisor and use a VM
    2) Use VMware Fusion as a hypervisor (this is not free)
    3) Natively install Linux on the Mac -- do not do this unless you are an expert
    4) Use AWS (free tier) which may or may not work

• Hi @shijokingo ,

Please use the following forum to post stuff about the CEBC (this is the parent level of our two bootcamp forums):

https://forum.linuxfoundation.org/categories/cloud-engineer-boot-camp

Regards,
    Luis.

• yes you can install Linux (Ubuntu) on MAC.
    For guide please visit here

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

If I were you I would not try to do a multi-boot system on the MAC for now.

The instructions in that url are for Ubuntu 16.04 which is almost 5 years old and there have been two Ubuntu LTS since then. I would not use these instructions; even if they are ok except for the image, they are just to old for my taste and I don't know if the MAC information is also ancient. Furthermore, you can destroy your MAC with ease doing this sort of thing if you are inexperienced. As a rule I never help people do a multi-boot system unless I am in the room with them, as there are a lot of things that can go wrong and it depends on factors hard to predict.

You should use a Virtual Machine to begin with and after you have real experience with Linux do a multi-boot system. In older times, before VMs were easy and common, it made more sense. It makes more sense to switch between VMS and the host with a few key presses than having to reboot, unless you need extra peformance etc, which you do not need for this course.

Categories

Upcoming Training