In lab is written:
5. User setfacl to make the file not readable by the new user and try again,
but the Solution is:
$ setfacl -m u:fool:w /tmp/afile

Comments

• lordi
    lordi Posts: 6

I should probably ask a question... :)
    Am I right that there is an error in the solution (instead of readable - writable)?

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380

Having a "write only" file or directory is a valid thing. Consider a ftp site you send files to, if you have a write only to the directory you can upload files but cannot see the file by doing a directory list.

Possibly a log file you could give a user write access to add new logevents but not be able to see the contents of the log file.

Yes, a write only file is an option we can use.

Does this help?

• lordi

@lee42x said:

Having a "write only" file or directory is a valid thing. Consider a ftp site you send files to, if you have a write only to the directory you can upload files but cannot see the file by doing a directory list.

Possibly a log file you could give a user write access to add new logevents but not be able to see the contents of the log file.

Does this help?

Thank you @lee42x for the answer! Yes, that was the question. I'm just wondering about the solution in the lab and do I think in the right direction.

• lordi

Now I get it! :smile:
    I didn't realise that for 4-th question the solution is u:fool:rw, while the question is how to make the file writeable (not readable,writeable). And for 5-th question it is already writable.
    Actually I didn't ask correctly in my first question. :smiley:
    But you're right @lee42x

Categories

Upcoming Training