Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

All LFS201 Course's Video not playing on web browser Firefox

cjclm7
cjclm7 Posts: 8

Hi there,
I am not able to see any of the course's videos (I just see blank space where should be the video).

I am guessing the course video are in a format that Firefox cannot decode (most probably H.264).

Tried on different computers (real machines, not virtual or cloud machines):

Firefox version 78.3.0esr (64-bit) on desktop CentOS (Linux rig0 4.18.0-193.el8.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri May 8 10:59:10 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

Firefox version 78.3.0esr (64-bit) on desktop OpenSUSE 15.2

Firefox version 78.3.0esr (64-bit) on desktop Ubuntu desktop 20.04.1

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

Your problems are unlikely due to use of Firefox as many many students use it,, but you could try google-chrome. More likely it is a network or firewall or proxy issue. Please tell us what operating system you are using and what version. From the list of distributions you mention I suspect you are using VMs, if so please tell us the hypervisor as well. Then someone more expert than I can possibly hint at things.

• cjclm7
    cjclm7 Posts: 8
    edited December 2020

_> @coop said:
    _> (...) Please tell us what operating system you are using and what version. From the list of distributions you mention I suspect you are using VMs, if so please tell us the hypervisor as well. (...)__

As explained in my text: I am using a real machine (real computer, not VMs) for each OS.
    When I want to start CentOS, or Ubuntu or OpenSUSE, I just power off, change the SSD and boot the machine with a different SSD (have 3 different SSD, one for each OS).

Any of the 3 OS is not changed. It is a default, fresh install, latest version and fully updated.
    Firefox used is the one that comes by default on each of the 3 OS (Ubuntu, CentOS, OpenSUSE).

I am guessing the issue is related with network issues (I am behind a VPN and firewall) but strange is that I can see all other parts of the course (text, images, etc), only videos I cannot see...

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

Firewalls can definitely cause issues with videos. But at times, the browser used as well (especially Firefox).

• @fcioanca said:
    Firewalls can definitely cause issues with videos. But at times, the browser used as well (especially Firefox).

Yes, I am guessing is related with Firefox browser security/privacy default settings.

VPN was not the issue (connected to network without VPN and still cannot see videos).

Will try now Google Chrome browser (which is easy to install on Ubuntu but I am guessing will have issues installing it on both CentOS and OpenSUSE).

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

it is easy to install on both CentOS and OpenSUSE, they provide a repo, just go to google chrome and click on download or install etc.

Categories

Upcoming Training