Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

sound problem

i have just installed mandriva 2010 on a laptop hp dv61103ee. i got this one problem there is no sound

i already disable pulse audio,

what shall i do to solve this?

thanks

Comments

• Tried you find any driver in Update manager?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Due to past misconnunications I have to ask, is there no sound coming from any app in the Operating System or is only a single application effected?

Also what make/model of a sound card are you using on your system?
  • i'am using mandriva 2010 the sound is not working for all the application. i check on the driver it is snd_hda_intel but my laptop is ATI what should i do
  • mfillpot
    the intel sound type is the default value for realtek onboard audio. It sounds like your system may not know what sound card to use. Since you have disabled pulse, then I beleive it should default back to using alsa, you can configure the audio card for also by running "sudo alsaconf" in the terminal, and you can midify and check the mixer settings by running "alsamixer".

I am a Slackware user and these are the controlling commands for alsa based off of the orignal application and in slackware, hopefully mandriva didn't remove those apps from their distribution. Please let me know if these commands are not present, if they are not then I will install mandriva to test it on my system.
  • What model laptop are you using? I can't find it.

If your drivers aren't working, open the Terminal an type
    lspci

and paste it. This command is very useful as it gives an output for all devices in the system. It will give us a good idea what to install for which device.
  • here it is

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (ext gfx port 0)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
    00:0a.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 5)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3a)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] HyperTransport Configuration (rev 40)
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] Miscellaneous Control
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Mobile K10 [Turion X2, Athlon X2, Sempron] Link Control
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series]
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series]
    08:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
  • mfillpot
    Here is a report back.

It appears that the sound problem in ubuntu 9.10 is pretty widespread and is a problem cause by the move to pusleaudio.

I have detailed some information in the post at http://www.linux.com/community/forums?func=view&catid=8&id=3653 which might help, please try the script I referred to and tell me in it helps.
  • fgaribaldi
    fgaribaldi Posts: 1
    You should look if your card is installed under ALSA, the pulse audio daemon uses alsa as the sink for the sound.

With the following command you can retrieve the information of your card:
    cat /proc/asound/cards

If your card is installed under ALSA, you should see the name of your card and a number assigned to it.
    0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                          HDA NVidia at 0xf4480000 irq 18

if it's there you can look at the sound levels with this command
    alsamixer -c

"number of your card"

Categories

Upcoming Training