Deep Work Thread
Cal Newport has a book called “Deep Work”. In the last 40 minutes of chapter 7 he outlines a strategy of accountability. This strategy aims to provide a mechanism that improves the execution of the deep work not just planning or theorizing deep work but actually doing the deep work.
The name of this strategy is called 4dx
The four steps boils down to.
1. Finding a wildly exciting ambitious and interesting goal to execute.
2. Identifying the lag and lead measures of each task. How to measure success effectively.
3. Creating a sense of competitiveness and accountability in the work place. Making the measurements that you are using public and therefore creating a sense of responsibility and competitiveness.
4. Frequent reviews of performance and determining how to improve results in regard to the measurements being made. I my case how many hours of extreme deep work and moderately deep work I do.
- My top level goal is to ace JSNAD exam
- My lead measures are house many deep work hours I am doing, both extreme deep work and moderately deep work will be measured. deep work will only be counted if it is work that is being done that is aimed directly at completing my goal.
- My competitive inspiration I will post my daily progress in this thread everyday to create a sense of accountability and competitiveness.
To review and improve my work habits I will do a daily review everyday when I post in here around 9pm -10pm at night before bed.
And then on the 9th 19th and 29th of every month. I will evaluate my own performance for the prior 9 or 10 days.
- The aim of these evaluations will be to improve the quality of my deep work in both depth and length.