Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Proper Network Configuration Questions (i.e. Lab 35)

So in the discussion and labs, we are told to edit /etc/network/interfaces and resolv.conf. My question is.. what is NetPlan used for? Hasn't resolv.conf been deprecated? Will the items work for trying to get a static wireless address?

Comments

• Hi @mglassman ,

For Netplan, you can see LFS211 Chapter 3 Network Configuration. Also, there is good documentation in the official website:

https://netplan.io/

I'll check the other items and will provide you an update as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Luis.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

/etc/resolv.conf is not deprecated. Netplan is a pure Ubuntu-ism, not used by any other Enterprise distribution, and I see no indication anyone else is interested in it. Most of the discussion I have seen involves how to exterminate it, and push it out of the way. This is not to say it does not do some interesting and possibly worthwhile things, but we try to concentrate on more universal methods that apply to a range of Linux distributions. We also encourage avoiding editing the text files in /etc as much as possible and relying on tools such as the various network manager utilities (the GUI, nmtui and nmcli) as they abstract away the distribution dependencies, which arise from over 20 years of parallel evolution

• Hi @mglassman ,

I just want to add that /etc/resolv.conf is still in use; DNS data is no longer managed by resolv.conf directly, but by systemd-resolved (in fact you can do 'cat /etc/resolv.conf' and you will get some information about this).

Regards,
    Luis.

• Okay so if we are to add DNS and have it persist upon a reboot.. we should still edit resolv.conf or is there more we need to do?

• Hi @mglassman ,

We are not supposed to manually edit /etc/resolv.conf, instead you can use nmtui.

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training