Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Things to do after installing Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic!

Options
DPic
DPic Posts: 3

Hey guys, i put a lot of time and effort into writing this and i thought you might like it =]

Top things to do after installing Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Please Reddit/Digg and (re)Tweet/Identi.ca!

Please let me know what you think!

I hope this is the right forum section, please correct me if i'm wrong. Just trying to help out people trying to choose apps who are new to Ubuntu!

So far, the response i've been getting elsewhere has been quite overwhelming!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    You covered some good stuff, but there is always more than can be added and I encourage others to add their input on additional things to do with ubuntu on this thread.

I am moving the thread to the ubuntu section and it will have a link in the "Getting Started with Linux section".
  • altNull
    Options
    Good Post. You forgot the number 1 thing you can do in a Linux distro - Figure out some way to epicly break Linux, then post about it on the forums. I ounce, after downloading about 600+ packages to fix an audio problem, found my self on a different desktop from Gnome. It wasn't KDE or Xfce. I showed it to a Linux guru I know. His response was "What the..." Best laugh of my life.

Also, why would ever recommend Chrome. As a Linux supporter, you should be accustom to reading TOSs. Basically, Google's TOS for Google.com, Gmail, and Chrome says that they have the right to record any date - personal and private - that happens while using their products. They then resell this data to corporations. Oh, no they don't sell your private data, but there's nothing in the law against them trading it with a partner or subsidiary company. So, you research something private, and suddenly your getting emails or ads that are targeted at selling you what ever you just researched. Never use Google, unless it can't be helped (yes I use google.com to research stuff, but I never use Gmail or Chrome because Google has no right knowing my private data).
  • DPic
    DPic Posts: 3
    Options
    altNull wrote:
    Also, why would ever recommend Chrome. As a Linux supporter, you should be accustom to reading TOSs. Basically, Google's TOS for Google.com, Gmail, and Chrome says that they have the right to record any date - personal and private - that happens while using their products. They then resell this data to corporations. Oh, no they don't sell your private data, but there's nothing in the law against them trading it with a partner or subsidiary company. So, you research something private, and suddenly your getting emails or ads that are targeted at selling you what ever you just researched. Never use Google, unless it can't be helped (yes I use google.com to research stuff, but I never use Gmail or Chrome because Google has no right knowing my private data).[/quote]

I didn't actually recommend chrome, but actually Chormium, the open source base for Chrome, which i don't believe has those implications.
  • altNull
    Options
    That may be true. I haven't had a chance to go through the source code, nor have I had the chance to find someone who has. I'm just tense about anything from Google - they are always watching.
  • itbcn8
    itbcn8 Posts: 23
    Options
    This is a great list. I saw it on digg when it first came out and shared it all over the place.

If you can, also write stuff about "mod"ing your Ubuntu, like... "10 things to do to make your Karmic an awesome office/work machine", or "gaming rig", etc... Like altNull said, there are SO many packets out there that sometimes it's hard to know where to go and what to do. This style of tutorial, for me, is the clearest, easiest way to learn.

:)

Oh, and I agree about Google, they are evil :P I use yahoo mail.
  • shelner
    Options
    Things to do after installing Ubuntu? I think don't need install some additional programs. On laptop I'm using ubuntu and I just installed VLC media player and MonoDevelop. VLC media player is best media player under Linux platform for me and MonoDevelop I installed because I need it for programming .net apps under Linux platform. :)
  • nanouk
    Options
    altNull wrote:
    Good Post. You forgot the number 1 thing you can do in a Linux distro - Figure out some way to epicly break Linux, then post about it on the forums. I ounce, after downloading about 600+ packages to fix an audio problem, found my self on a different desktop from Gnome. It wasn't KDE or Xfce. I showed it to a Linux guru I know. His response was "What the..." Best laugh of my life.

ROTFLMAO! It's 0230 AM here on Thanksgiving morning, I just about blew my coffee out my nose reading this one. Thanks for the chuckle, alt. It was needed!
    :woohoo:
    :lol:

Categories

Upcoming Training