Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Mail server recommendations

Hello,
could you please recommend me a book which covers SMTP Server installation, spam filtering, etc.?
Additionally, I found that MTA agents comparison (Exim4 vs Postfix) was not discussed, does it mean in modern Linux installations sysadmin should prefer Postfix,

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380

There are a few books on postfix, some with very good reviews. The postfix web site has a large selection of documentation at http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html , including some basic setup guides.

Exim and Postfix are both very good MTA's and starting a flame war is not my intention.

Postfix seems to the popular default as it is in the primary or base repository and exim is in the extras or add-on repository. Both MTA's are available on most distributions and have reasonable default configuration files.

The challenge in making a recommendation is each site has a different use cases that could alter the choice of MTA, for our classroom we chose postfix for ease of configuration, security and it is the default at installation time.

Lee

Categories

Upcoming Training