Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to uninstall ubuntu??

Hello all..

I have windows XP installed on my pc.

Then I was installing the "ultimate edition of ubuntu", but it was taking too long so i quit the installation without completing it.

Now I want to uninstall ubuntu without affecting windows XP.

What to do?

Please help me.

:(

Comments

• Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Uninstall or change a program and then in the list you find ubuntu and uninstall it. :)
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Were you doing the installing from within windows or were you installing it on a new partition?

If you think the ubuntu installation took too long, then try very hard to avoid reinstalling windows, the install time is quite long.
  • i have installed windows from a new partition, not from windows.
  • mfillpot
    Actually I was referring to the ubuntu installtion, there is an option to install it wihtin windows which is called the "Wubi Installer". Did you install Ubuntu on a new partition or within windows using the wubi installer?
  • i have installed ubuntu on seperate partition, not within windows.
  • mfillpot
    In that case what you need to do to uninstall ubuntu is:
    1. delete the ubuntu partition(s)
    2. then boot up your window rescue/recovery disk/partition and go into recovery mode, once in recovery mode you need to run the command "fixmbr", that command will remove the ubuntu bootloader and reinstall the windows bootloader.

If you are looking for a quick fix then you can just overwrite the mbr now and then delete the partitions when you need the space.

If you install didn't even get far enough in the install process to add the bootloader, then all you need to do to remove it is delete the ubuntu partition(s).
  • i have fixed the MBR using the fixmbr command @ the recovery console.
    but even then it is showing 2 OS to select one from them when booting starts.
    has the MBR been fixed or something more is to be done??:unsure:
  • use windows xp cd maybe it work.boot from xp cd and when cd is loading dont press any keys even Enter key.till window come up.
  • mfillpot
    If you are still seeing an ubuntu option after running the fixmbr command then that means that the entry is in the windows bootload, that is an effect of using the wubi installer. If it was indeed installed by wubi then you should bee entries on your C: drive that are called wubi* or ubuntu* that are your actual installation.

To completely remove a wubi installation you first need to delete the wubi and ubuntu files from your C drive, then you right click on the my computer icon, go to properties, click on the advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery settings button, under System Startup click Edit, and in the open boot.ini file you can remove the ubuntu option from the windows bootloader.

Now this thread is quite informative since I have covered the uninstallation of ubuntu from both a wubi and physical installation.

As always please respond with any additional questions or issues that you have.
  • yes, i can see wubi* files in C: drive.:woohoo:
    are you sure that it is now safe to delete these files and edit the bootloader?
    is it safe to delete the partition having ubuntu?
    i m just waiting for your yes so that i can confidentally do that.:)
  • mfillpot
    gaurav.radioactive wrote:
    yes, i can see wubi* files in C: drive.:woohoo:
    are you sure that it is now safe to delete these files and edit the bootloader?
    is it safe to delete the partition having ubuntu?
    i m just waiting for your yes so that i can confidentally do that.:)

Those files are the boot instructions, kernel image and the virtual disk(s) that hold your ubuntu installation. In the wubi installation the files are not written to a new partition, but are written to the virtual disk file(s) that are stored on your C: drive.

Now if the ubuntu physical partition was used then you may have installed two occurances through seperate install attempts, one as a physical install and the other as a wubi installation. Buy removing the files and the partition then you would be removing both installations of ubuntu and all data that resides within those installation.

You can safely remove all of the wubi and ubuntu files and remove the ubuntu boot entry. But by removing these files the ubuntu boot entry will not work and you will loose all access to your previous ubuntu installation.

Feel free to report back and ask questions when you are willing to allocate some time to fully installing and distro. Who knows, we may help you find some functions that will make you question ever going back to windows ;)
  • thanx a lot bro.
    now i m going to remove the ubuntu completely and then i will install opensuse.
    thanx again and now i must move to the group of opensuse.:cheer:
  • mfillpot
    Good luck moving to OpenSUSE, some of the functionality to me seems too much like windows which is why I only use it to help opensuse users, but I wish you the best of luck with that distro.

Can you please tell me what in ubuntu turned you away from that distro?
  • Did you resolve your "still seeing 2 OS" upon boot up issue?

If not, it could simply be the boot.ini listing in Windows that can be taken care of through
    the Windows Systems property --> Startup and Recovery tab.
    Use the EDIT button to manually edit the Windows startup options.

Give Ubuntu a try in the future, GR, its really not a bad distro. IMHO.
    Nanouk

Categories

Upcoming Training