Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What is the best/recommended computer to use for Linux this learning boot camps?

Options

I am looking for recommendations - I have a Windows and a Macbook but would a Linux machine/computer be best? And , if a Linux system would be best what distro would be recommended that will serve in the long run?

Comments

• luisviveropena
    Options

Hi @joytheengineer ,

You will find software recommendations for each course in Chapter 1 (Introduction). So, from the beginning (LFS201) you are provided with information and recommendations about the software environment. Then, on LFS211 there is information about which distribution you may choose from, and different factors you can use to choose well. For some labs you will be asked to use VMs on GCP (Google Cloud Platform), and for LFS253 and LFS261 you will need to work with containers, which works on Linux, macOS and Windows.

So, I'd say just be sure you have a system with enough resources (LFS261 gives a good idea) and explore what is the best way it works for you.

I hope that helps. Many regards.

Luis.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

to add to what Luis says, you don't have to use the same environment for all courses. In fact LFS201 and LFS211 do not require very much -- you can have a not very big machine with any enterprise Linux, although I would recommend CentOS or RedHat 7, or Ubuntu 18.04 or above since the LFCS and LFCE exams give you a choice of which to use. You can use either a dedicated machine, or a VM using Virtual Box, VMWare etc.

For the more advanced courses, they are mostly done in the cloud so the platform you use for your host is
    not so important, but you should pay attention to what the exams are done on. THe K8s exams, for example,
    I believe are run on Ubuntu.

Categories

Upcoming Training