Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Introduction to Open Source Development, Git and Linux (LFD201)

Hello everybody.

Sorry to bother, I emailed the customersupport@rt.linuxfoundation.org but they told me to ask/report here so ...

I'm writing to you 'cause a lot of videos, part of the course named in the object, are unavailable: they won't load.

i.e.:
... Lesson 2, Lesson 6, Lesson 11, Lesson 13, Lesson 15, Lesson 23, Lesson 25, Lesson 26, Lesson 27, Lesson 29, lesson 32, Lesson 34, Lesson 39 ...

I find it very annoying: how can we complete the course if we don't have access to the full materials?

Thank you for getting back to me.

Sincerely yours

Paolo Giannini

Answers

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

They all load perfectly well on my system, running chrome on a physical linux system (RHEL 8). Perhaps you can supply more information such as your OS and browser.

• PFG
    PFG Posts: 34

Hello, thank you for the quick reply!

I'm on a Windows 10 Pro. Browser used Firefox, Chrome and Edge ...

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,887

Are there any firewalls or missing plugins that could block the videos from playing?

• PFG

No.
    Also other courses I'm enrolled in, i.e. LFS201, work perfectly fine ...

• PFG

Hi everybody.

This morning I installed a VM running CentOS 8 on VMware Workstation 16, just to see what happened ... Well, have to say that I just tried to play videos from this class (LFD201) and ... I don't even see the video panel, the one with the play button: the screen, apart from the title of the page and the sentence(s) at the bottom of the video, which by the way is not shown, it totally blank, white as the background colour ...

Tried some videos on youtube and they work ...

Also, as I said, it is not that all the videos are not working, but only those in the referrenced lessons of this course ...
    If anyone, especially at the Linux Foundation, could help me unerstand what is going on and sort out this issue I'd really appreciate it, as I said I find it very annoying: how can we complete the course if we don't have access to the full materials, especially demo(s)?

Thank you so much for your support.

Sincerely yours

Paolo Giannini

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

Can you try on a totally different machine on the same network? We are unable to reproduce any of the problems you are having and are unaware of any other students in the same boat, so helping you is not trivial. It should work on any OS and modern browser

• fcioanca
    edited September 2020

Hi Paolo,

We have reached out to our LMS provider with this issue, and asked them to look more into it. Per the provider, they would like to confirm whether you cleared your cache? And did that help in any way?

Also, from our review, it seems that videos are hosted in different buckets on different domains, and the videos you are experiencing issues with are all behind a particular domain. The issues you are experiencing may be due to a corporate firewall, personal firewall, or the ISP blocking that particular domain.

Thank you,
    Flavia

• PFG

Hello there!

Thank you very very much indeed for your support!

I'll try on my other PC, a Mac Mini, later on today or tomorrow at last ...

To Flavia: yes, I cleared the cache of the browser and also all the Windows Temporary Files ...

Talking about firewalls I don't know much about the Windows Defender FIrewall but definetly I haven't configured it and I'm not aware of any restrictions in that sense from the ISP ...

As I said I'll try on a totally different PC and let you know ... As a last resource I'll install Ubuntu on a laptop PC but it won't be until next week ...

Once again thank you!

Paolo

• PFG

Just tried with the Mac Mini updated to macOS 10.15.6 Catalina, used Safari, Chrome and FIrefox (all the latest versions) and the problem is still there, always the same ...

Paolo

• PFG

Hello everybody.

Just wanted to let you know that today everything seems to work ...

Thank you.

Sincerely yours

Paolo Giannini

• PFG

Ok, we've been jocking: issues are still there ... It's so frustrating ...

• fcioanca

Hi @PFG,

We have been talking to the platform developers and they tried recreating the issues you are seeing, unsuccessfully. They advised that, since they are unable to reproduce it, it is most likely a local issue on your end. They still advise you to clear cache and cookies again. Disable any firewall that could interfere with the video's loading. Additionally, if you are using a VPN connection, try viewing the content on your home network. If this is indeed a local network problem, using different laptops on the same network won't solve it, as there is something preventing these particular videos from playing. By any chance, do you have access to a different network that you could use?

Regards,
    Flavia

• PFG

Hello Flavia, good morning.

Sorry for the delay but ...

I've tried connecting the PC I use at the University (where I work) to my smartphone via its Router Wi-Fi feature. Better but there still are problems: i.e. NO video of Unit 23 shows. The place where there should be the video is blank, totally white ...

As I said it's annoying and frustrating, especially because other courses (LFS 201, LFS 211) and even Units of this very course are playing correctly ...

I can try to get in touch whith those of the GARR Conscortium which is the ISP provider for Universities and Reasearch Centers in Italy via someone at the IT Department here at the University ...

Regards,

Paolo

Categories

Upcoming Training