Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Redundant connections on the "Device Nodes" diagram

willdye
willdye Posts: 10

In chapter 27, on devices and udev, there is a diagram entitled "Device Nodes":

Note there are two arrows which do the exact same thing -- connect "block node" to "Virtual File System". There are no labels or other markings to distinguish them.

Why two arrows? I'm guessing the second arrow was supposed to be connected to "socket", to cover things like named pipes, but I'm not sure what the author intended.

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

Absolutely correct :) I did some archaeological digging on this, and discovered it has looked like this since 2016, when it replaced an older not as pretty but more correct diagram. We're figuring out how to best fix it and it will magically appear at some point. Thanks ! (Strangely enough noone has ever noticed this error before, or at least told us about it. )

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,887

The image has been corrected. Thank you.

• willdye

Glad to help. As long as you're fixing minor typos, the 4th page of Chapter 32 ("File Access Rights") has a very minor typo on the second list element:

• r: read access is allowed
      li>w: write access is allowed
    • x: execute access is allowed.

I don't think anybody was confused by it, but just for cleanliness it seems worth fixing.

• willdye
    edited August 2020

Speaking of minor typos... I only just now noticed that I'm posting in the forum for LFD201, but the course I'm taking is LFS201. Oops. I guess the two courses are related, since people replied to my post here, but I should probably post in the LFS201 forum for now on.

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,887

Thank you. This has been fixed.

Categories

Upcoming Training