Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

firewalld Warnings - ipset not usable, ebtables are missing

As per Chapter 36, I installed firewalld. The service started and is running, but the status shows the following two warnings:

WARNING: ipset not usable, disabling ipset usage in firewall.
WARNING: ebtables-restore and ebtables are missing, disabling

I am using Linux Mint 19.3 (Ubuntu 18.04) on a physical machine.

Comments

• Hi @herecomesbrod ,

I installed firewalld on Ubuntu 18.04 and I could see the status as running. When you install it, it installs ipset also, but it didn't give me any issue. So basically I couldn't reproduce your issue.

Ubuntu 18.04 comes with ufw by default. Have you stopped it before starting firewalld? Enabling more than one firewall at time can be a source of issues.

Regards,
    Luis.

• Thanks for your reply Luis.

ufw was running. I stopped ufw and restarted firewalld, but got the same errors.

I have now separately installed both ipset and ebtables, restarted firewalld and there are no more warnings.

Best Regards.

• It's a pleasure!

What installation method did you use? When I installed firewalld -using apt install firewalld- it resolved the dependencies and installed ipset as well (my system already has installed ebtables, so that was not a problem).

Regards,
    Luis.

• I did use sudo apt install firewalld so not sure why the dependencies weren't included.

Categories

Upcoming Training