Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

old red hat

Options

i have a very old laptop with about 16 mb Ram and i wanted to install linux on it, i preffered redhat than slackware but the problem is when i entered a site of old linux systems http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/historic-linux/distributions/ i went through red hat then 4.2 i didnt understand any thing ,could anybody tell me how to create a CD of this version of linux? [sorry about my english]

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    16 meg is too little for most current linux distributions, including RHEL versions such as 4.2 or later. There are some distributions that are aimed at minimal systems, such as DSL (Damned Small Linux), or are intended to be built for such systems as is Gentoo. In your case, you probably want to check out DSL since the current version of Gentoo requires 64MB of RAM to run the minimal installer.
  • omarayad1
    Options
    woboyle wrote:
    16 meg is too little for most current linux distributions, including RHEL versions such as 4.2 or later. There are some distributions that are aimed at minimal systems, such as DSL (Damned Small Linux), or are intended to be built for such systems as is Gentoo. In your case, you probably want to check out DSL since the current version of Gentoo requires 64MB of RAM to run the minimal installer.
    thanks man but can i install older versions of red hat or slackware and in case yes how could i create a cd and , i want a graphical interface system [the laptop has a default system of windows 95 but i cant find the CD]

Categories

Upcoming Training