Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Am I in the right place?

Options

In search of advice from the wise!

I am new to the world of Linux and looking to make a career change from a non-tech field. I have completed LFS101 on edX as suggested and I am now entering Chapter 25 of LFS201. I feel as though I've learned a lot in a short period of time, which is wonderful, but also that I'm drowning a bit whilst trying to drink from the fire hose - I'm the new driver in Driver's Ed just trying to learn to drive the car properly but we are studying the metallurgy of pistons. Am I in the right place taking the right course?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Comments

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000
    Options

Hello,

I think you are in the right place. It definitely can be like sipping from a fire hose. The courses are laid out to make the journey as hiccup free as possible. I note you said you are starting with chapter 25. If you haven't already, I'd suggest looking at the prior chapters, just to make sure you have everything down. Building a strong foundation is important, as it is a lot more difficult to unlearn than it is to learn in the first place.

Ask questions either here, the particular class forum, or during office hours.

Welcome!

• GSQS
    GSQS Posts: 11
    Options

Thank you for your insight. I am going through the chapters in order.

• linuxskiba
    linuxskiba Posts: 22
    Options

@GSQS - I have been thinking the same thing lately, although I have been in IT for 10+ years.
    I am very new to the linux world and feel like I am learning so much but also that a lot of what I knew was wrong or had a lot of gaps in the information I had.
    I think the key thing and what I keep reminding myself at the end of the day is to have fun and enjoy what I am learning and the new world of Linux!

Categories

Upcoming Training