Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS201 - Chapter 8 Yum - yum install yum-plugin-verify

Options

My systems (both CentOS 8 and OpenSuse 15.2) are not able neither to install nor to find yum-plugin-verify
Any suggestions?

Do I have to add a repo in which search for the package?

Please help me

Thank you in advance

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

yum does not exist at all on OpenSUSE (it uses zypper) and Centos8 uses dnf not yum. This is noted on the page "Verifying Packages" in a highlight box immediately appended to the discussion you refer to. So indeed it is not available.

• saintex
    saintex Posts: 13
    edited July 2020
    Options

Thank you coop, for your answers.

I found yum package installed in my CentOS with the default installation (maybe for historical reasons), but - sure - also dnf was already installed.
    The point is that - also if yum was already installed in the system - I was not able to find any yum-plugin-verify in the repos, via yum search.

The fact that CentOS has got yum pre-installed didn't surprised me, because more than 10 years ago I was already able to use yum on CentOS, and I was no aware of the new dnf tool.

At this point the question is:
    if 'yum verify' is not available on CentOS and dnf has not any tool to verify packages, as in the box you pointed out, the only way to verify packages in CentOS is 'rpm -V'. Is it correct?

Indeed - as you correctly pointed out - I manually installed yum (with zypper install yum) on OpenSuse, just for studying purpose.

Pretty surprising, on OpenSuse the command
    sudo yum list "yum-plugin*"
    has revealed that after the yum installation, the verify plugin was installed with the yum installation itself.

Thank you again for you answers.

Have a nice Sunday

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,154
    Options

Hi @saintex ,

On CentOS 8 yum is there for compatibility. So, if you see what yum is pointing to, it will be more clear:

[luiseduardovp@centos8 ~]$ cat /etc/os-release
    NAME="CentOS Linux"
    VERSION="8 (Core)"
    ID="centos"
    ID_LIKE="rhel fedora"
    VERSION_ID="8"
    PLATFORM_ID="platform:el8"
    PRETTY_NAME="CentOS Linux 8 (Core)"
    ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:centos:centos:8"
    HOME_URL="https://www.centos.org/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.centos.org/"
    CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT="CentOS-8"
    CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT_VERSION="8"
    REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="centos"
    REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="8"

[luiseduardovp@centos8 ~]$ which yum
    /usr/bin/yum

[luiseduardovp@centos8 ~]$ ls -l /usr/bin/yum
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 5 Apr 24 19:57 /usr/bin/yum -> dnf-3

Also, not all the plugins on CentOS 7 are available on CentOS 8, as you can see here:

"Availability of plug-ins
    Legacy YUM v3 plug-ins are incompatible with the new version of YUM v4. Selected yum plug-ins and utilities have been ported to the new DNF back end, and can be installed under the same names as in RHEL 7. They also provide compatibility symlinks, so the binaries, configuration files and directories can be found in usual locations."

From: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/index

Many regards,
    Luis.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

As Luis said, "yum" is just a compatibility wrapper around "dnf" as most (basic) yum commands have a similar command and options in dnf. It's enough of a change that a new name was needed as it is a completely new code, not an update to yum.

I did not know OpenSUSE has a yum package, but I would not expect it to work that well and I would not use it too much probably. I did not that it also has "apt, apt-get" etc which turn out to be wrappers around zypper, so once again your mileage will vary.

The rpm program, on the other hand, has the same upstream on Suse and Red Hat, so except for version differences and some optional packages, seems to work pretty much the same. But I'm sure there are corners where this is not true and you can get tangled up, although I haven't experienced it.

• saintex
    saintex Posts: 13
    Options

ok, It's all clear.
    Thank you very much for your answers.

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,154
    Options

You are welcome!

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories