Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

/dev/st0 tape archive?

Hi.

In the section 40 I see mention of a tape archive which is located at /dev/st0. I take it this is a physical machine that many companies have and in my case I cannot run this command. Shall I just replace 'st0' with a file/directory? I tried the command with a partition instead of 'st0' but I got an error.

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

This is for tapes, which I'm sure you don't have. It is shown as an example, not a do with me thing. So don't worry. it won't work with a partition as you found.

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,142

Hi @WarrenUK ,

Don't worry much about it, because the associated technology is declining. But as this exists (and as it hasn't died), it's in the course.

Many regards,
    Luis.

• WarrenUK
    WarrenUK Posts: 72
    edited July 2020

Ok Thanks.

Would have been cool to try it as I'm a bit of a retro guy - I still buy and play vinyl as I prefer them to CD's.

But in this case I presume them tape machines for archiving would be digital tape (digital into analogue would not work). I remember the old DAT tapes when I did a music recording course a long time ago.

• luisviveropena

Hi @WarrenUK , well, you still can buy tapes if you want to play with them. You also need a drive to play them, of course (and the connectors).

Regards,
    Luis.

• WarrenUK
    WarrenUK Posts: 72

Maybe you should set that as extra extra coursework haha.

• luisviveropena

Perhaps with a gamification system, like giving points if you do it :)

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training