Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS201 - Chapter 23 Discussion // Questions // Banter - Kernel Services and Configuration

In the section Kernel Boot Parameters it's mentioned that detailed documentation of kernel parameters can be viewed by running

$ man bootparam

I couldn't find a reference to this program for CentOS, is it specific to a particular distribution?

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

It works on CentOS 7, CentOS 8 and Ubuntu 20.04 (I checked) and is part of the base "man-pages" package, so I don't know why it would not be on your system if it is any normal linux distribution (not one pared back to not have man). You can also find the man-pages on the Internet, in particular this one at:

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/bootparam.7.html

• cjmills
    cjmills Posts: 10
    edited July 2020

Is there a preferred list of kernel command line parameters between the following?

$ man bootparam
    $ man kernel-command-line

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

ah, you have stumbled on systemd command line parameters which are different than kernel command line parameters (the man kernel-command-line is part of the systemd package)

The way things work is any parameter on the kernel command line is sent to the kernel first. If the kernel does not appreciate the parameter it then gets passed to PID=1, which these days is systemd-init and then is interpreted by systemd.

It's confusing and the source of some really nasty fights in the past between some kernel developers and some systemd people, but we avoid holy wars.

As a simple example, if you give just a "3" on the command line, the kernel ignores it and it tells init to go to run level 3 (no GUI desktop)

• GRO 108
    GRO 108 Posts: 46

@coop said:
    It works on CentOS 7, CentOS 8 and Ubuntu 20.04 (I checked) and is part of the base "man-pages" package, ...

Thanks @coop, I'm using GCPs CentOS 7 image which has man-pages stripped out. After installing man-pages I can now load the bootparam manual.

$ sudo yum install man-pages
    $ man bootparam

Categories

Upcoming Training