Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Good news!

Hi everyone,

In the today's Zoom meeting, a number or participants asked for moving to work in the fundations first (regarding the office hours), so then we can work on LFS201 in the beginning, and then move to the next course. The good new is that I got confirmation and we are working the first month (Monday to Thursday only) on LFS201!!!

Note: the friday's hour office will be with Tim Serewicz (K8s Fundamentals (LFS258)).

So, please prepare your questions for tomorrow (LFS201). If you can, please post your questions in the forum with some anticipation (perhaps the day before), so everyone is aware what we are working next day. I suggest the following:

1.- Let's concentrate in the labs. In any aspect of the labs: didn't it work as expected, something failed? You were able to do it, but didn't understand it well?
2.- Is there any specific command, tools, etc. in the course ourline you have questions and/or doubts? No problem, we'll do it ;)
3.- Please consider we'll have about 15 sessions for LFS201 (with the new change), so let's try doing this from somewhere in the beginning, and going forward gradually in the chapters.
4.- If you have specific questions about the labs, your virtual machine, etc., and it's not working, I'll be happy to see it in your own environment, so you can share your desktop for the test.

I hope this helps us to find the best way to go through the material and provide you assistance in the road :)

Many regards, until tomorrow!

Luis.

Comments

• ppande2
    ppande2 Posts: 7

Hi Luis, Unfortunately i could not attend today morning's Zoom meeting. Is there any place where i can access today's recorded meeting ?

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144

Hi @ppande2 ,

The request to record the sessions was not approved, so it's not available. Anyway, we spoke about how we can work, the participants gave feedback about changes they want to introduce, I tried to answer their questions. But we didn't go far in the technical stuff, so basically it was an introductory meeting. Tomorrow we'll go into that though :)

Many regards,
    Luis.

• ppande2
    ppande2 Posts: 7

@luisviveropena said:
    Hi @ppande2 ,

The request to record the sessions was not approved, so it's not available. Anyway, we spoke about how we can work, the participants gave feedback about changes they want to introduce, I tried to answer their questions. But we didn't go far in the technical stuff, so basically it was an introductory meeting. Tomorrow we'll go into that though :)

Many regards,
    Luis.

Thank you Luis for sharing that info. Will be joining tomorrow.

• luisviveropena

It's a pleasure @ppande2 ! If possible, bring a question based on the labs or on the course outline, so we get busy, hehehe.

Regards,
    Luis.

• Just to Confirm,

The office hours are not like the email we received, correct?

We will be focusing on just LFS201 Linux Systems Administration for the next 15 days or so of June, Monday - Thursday

with Friday dedicated specifically for K8s Fundamentals LFS258

• luisviveropena

Hi @blackbear710 ,

Yes, that's right, for the first calendar month (Monday to Thursday). An important number of students asked for that yesterday in the Zoom meeting, so I did my best to get it (at least for this first course).

Regards,
    Luis.

• Hi Luis, It will be great if you can record everyday session and provide access to review or download for 2 or 3 days, so in case anyone is not able to attend session can review meeting. Thank You

• @sandip2020 from above >> "The request to record the sessions was not approved, so it's not available"

@luisviveropena if you could ask again, I would say it would be beneficial since not everyone is in the same time zone, but I don't make the decisions, maybe give people a link to a spreadsheet w/ a URL that has a username/password like the training resources that only Cloud Bootcamp could log into

I did something similar for a JavaScript Course, they had a link to a spreadsheet inside an HTML with the Videos from Classes

• chrisfeig
    chrisfeig Posts: 32

Yes the timezone differences definitely make it difficult to be in the zoom meetings every day. For this reason having access to a recording for a few days would be great if it can be managed.

+1

• fxgallo
    fxgallo Posts: 8

I agree with the above sentiments from @blackbear710 and @chrisfeig re: having a recording of zoom meeting sessions available for a couple/few days following the actual day's session. Many boot camp members are located outside the US and so not conveniently located in a timezone which allows access to the live sessions at a reasonable hour in their own locale. This has an impact not only for this first boot camp cohort but for subsequent ones, as well. If one lives in East Asia, the US Central Timezone in which our class Zoom meetings are set converts to the late evening, e.g., 11 pm, local time. If participating in the boot camp from Australia, that would be somewhere around 1:00 am local time. It only seems reasonable then, this being primarily an online, 24-hour available, remote class, that all resources, including the very important Zoom sessions, be made similarly available. Storage for the recorded sessions themselves should not be of much concern if after a few days the oldest ones are deleted. If recordings with a time-to-watch limitation should be allowed, it would also be beneficial to announce that one has "x" number of days to watch the prior day's recording before it is removed. In fact, assuming one week's storage is not an issue, the recordings could be saved until the following week's same-day session. That is, for example, today's Tuesday session will be available until next Tuesday morning (or Monday evening prior), at which time the prior week's Tuesday session is deleted to make way for the current Tuesday's session.

• I'm in US and 8 am on the West Coast is pushing it for me.... I have to be up for work, so luckily I am already up and can join.... but I could only imagine what people outside US are doing that have to be up for Work as well if the Class Zoom is at 1am/2am @fcioanca

• It seems that this Bootcamp is very diverse in terms of Geographic Location, honestly I was shocked.... it seems that most people are outside of US .... which figures, we are lames anyway and flock to windows like sheep

• sandip2020
    sandip2020 Posts: 3
    edited June 2020

I download pre-built VM's form here and not able to login with 'LFtraining' or 'LF Student' user name and password provided below. Could you please post default user/password for these VM's?

https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/
    VIRTUAL_MACHINE_IMAGES/
    where you should log in with these credentials:
    • username: xxxxxxx
    • password: xxxxxxxx

• luisviveropena

Good night guys,

I'm gonna ask the team to take a look to this thread, so perhaps it can be reconsidered.

Many regards,
    Luis.

• luisviveropena

Hi @sandip2020 ,

You will find the user and password in file 000README.txt .

Regards,
    Luis.

• chrisfeig
    chrisfeig Posts: 32

@luisviveropena said:
    Good night guys,

I'm gonna ask the team to take a look to this thread, so perhaps it can be reconsidered.

Many regards,
    Luis.

Keeping in mind, there were a significant number of people in the zoom meeting who supported this idea who haven't responded here in the forum, as was discussed.

• @luisviveropena said:
    Good night guys,

Many regards,
    Luis.

Thanks @luisviveropena. My timezone is EST and have work meetings scheduled at that time most of the days. Recording of our zoom meeting would be very helpful!

• luisviveropena

Hi @VijaySethumadavan , ok I'm asking for it again. I'll let all of you know.

Regards,
    Luis.

• linuxskiba
    linuxskiba Posts: 22

+1 for the recorded sessions as the time difference to Australia doesnt really work out.

• luisviveropena

Hi @linuxskiba ,

I'm seeing if I can record one session and keep it until next day. I'm gonna have news for next week.

Many regards,
    Luis.

• linuxskiba
    linuxskiba Posts: 22

@luisviveropena - Thats is great news and would be very helpful, something I can watch during my break at work.

• Hi All
    I am clearly late to the party! Just getting upto speed with all the setup. I have enrolled for the bootcamp and a complete Linux novice! Hopefully, make more sense after the Zoom lab sessions....
    I'm based in London, UK
    Greetings! :)

• luisviveropena

Hi @Senthil_Rajendran , welcome!

Have you went through LFS101? That free course is intended for complete beginners to Linux. And for sure the Zoom sessions will help :)

Many regards,
    Luis.

• @luisviveropena Thank you
    Yes, I have just started to go through LFS101.
    Catch up over Zoom in the coming week.

Categories

Upcoming Training