Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

CentOS v. Ubuntu

As part of the registration process there was a choice between CentOS and Ubuntu for the exams. Does this selection effect the content that is delivered at all, and can this option be changed if desired?

I've just reached the end of Section 2, which contains the lesson "Demo: Main Consumers of Storage on CentOS", so I was wondering if Ubuntu would otherwise have appeared here.

Also, are virtual disk images for CentOS and/or Ubuntu available?

Thanks.

Comments

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144

Hi @chrisfeig , welcome!

1.- Your choice won't change the content that's delivered. In fact, in Chapter 5 you will see content related to Package Managemnt Systems, and Chapter 7 is about DPKG.

2.- Yes, we offer vm images for CentOS and Ubuntu. I understand you should have received information about it, but you can find them here:

https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/VIRTUAL_MACHINE_IMAGES/

Many regards!
    Luis.

• Hi @luisviveropena , I can't join the link you shared below (https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/VIRTUAL_MACHINE_IMAGES/) for downloading the VM images even if I put my LF id and pwd ?
    do I need other credentials for this link ?

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

Hi @misterveli

Please check the Course Resources page in the intro chapter in LFS201, and you can use the same credentials provided there to download the VM images. Your LF ID will not work.

Regards,

Flavia

The Linux Foundation Training Team

• Hi @fcioanca , thanks a lot

• I will say, if you choose CentOS , I believe that distro Mirrors Red Hat, so potential for Doubling Up on Certs if you wanted to get say RCE or RCSA on top of the Linux Foundation CSA Cert? I am not 100% on the differences between Ubuntu and CentOS though really? minus the name, and the commands used download packages..... If someone has anything more to add, feel free

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144

Hi @blackbear710 ,

I think some of the relevant differences between distros are the following:

1.- Package management.
    2.- Where are the config. files.
    3.- Names for some services.
    4.- Package versions.
    5.- How the communities are organized (forums, chats, how big and dynamic they are).

But the main philosophy is the same!

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training