Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Dependencies error installing podman-docker on CentOS7 guest in VirtualBox on MacOS X

Options

Hello all. I wonder if anyone else has encountered this error. In running the ready-for.sh script to check for readiness for the course, I got the following error:

WARN: Some packages are missing
You can install missing packages by running:
./ready-for.sh --install LFS201
or by:
sudo yum install podman-docker

Then when I run sudo yum install podman-docker, I get this message:

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: podman-docker conflicts with 2:docker-1.13.1-161.git64e9980.el7_8.x86_64
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Neither this --skip-broken nor the rpm input helped.

I've googled a bit, but can't find an exact match. I don't have any experience yet in resolving such dependency conflicts.

There is also a message telling me that my machine is not "registered with an entitlement server. You can use subscription-manager to register" but my gut tells me it is unrelated to the dependencies issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

I believe this is not correct. For CentOS 7 docker should be fine and for CentOS 8 podman-docker. You wont' find out if you have a problem until you get to the container chapter much later. if you find you have /usr/bin/docker on your system, you definitely do not have a problem. Red Hat 8 really changed everything with docker and it is a little bit of a mess

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,154
    Options

Hi @faszikam ,

I did a testcase on CentOS 7 and when running the script I got a similar message of missing packages, including podman-docker (and many more). I just installed podman-docker with a number of dependencies, and all of them were installed correctly.

Did you install docker from a repo or manually from a rpm? In case you used a repo, what was it?

Regards,
    Luis.

• faszikam
    faszikam Posts: 8
    Options

@luisviveropena
    Thanks for your input. I installed from repos, as follows:

[primus@centos7 ~]$ yum repolist
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, priorities, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    * base: mirror.fra10.de.leaseweb.net
    * epel: mirror.speedpartner.de
    * extras: centos.mirror.iphh.net
    * updates: centos.mirror.iphh.net
    repo id repo name status
    base/7/x86_64 CentOS-7 - Base 10,070
    epel/x86_64 Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64 13,281
    extras/7/x86_64 CentOS-7 - Extras 397
    updates/7/x86_64 CentOS-7 - Updates 671
    repolist: 24,419

What do you say to @coop's suggestion that the package I need is actually "docker" rather than "podman-docker"?

@luisviveropena said:
    Hi @faszikam ,

I did a testcase on CentOS 7 and when running the script I got a similar message of missing packages, including podman-docker (and many more). I just installed podman-docker with a number of dependencies, and all of them were installed correctly.

Did you install docker from a repo or manually from a rpm? In case you used a repo, what was it?

Regards,
    Luis.

• faszikam
    Options

Thanks @coop.
    I don't have a /usr/bin/docker directory, no.

@coop said:
    I believe this is not correct. For CentOS 7 docker should be fine and for CentOS 8 podman-docker. You wont' find out if you have a problem until you get to the container chapter much later. if you find you have /usr/bin/docker on your system, you definitely do not have a problem. Red Hat 8 really changed everything with docker and it is a little bit of a mess

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

hi: The script has a regression. I have notified the author. On my CentOS-7 machine I get a failure because it wants gnome-tweaks and podman-docker. Yet I have installed already gnome-tweak-tool and docker-common. If you want to make sure you get the right thing just run:

sudo yum install gnome-tweak-tool docker-common

becaure

[student@centos LFT]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/docker /usr/bin/gnome-tweaks
    docker-common-1.13.1-161.git64e9980.el7_8.x86_64
    gnome-tweak-tool-3.28.1-7.el7.noarch

Don't worry about this and I'll get it fixed.

• faszikam
    Options

Thanks @coop. I have both of those installed. Have a good weekend!

@coop said:
    hi: The script has a regression. I have notified the author. On my CentOS-7 machine I get a failure because it wants gnome-tweaks and podman-docker. Yet I have installed already gnome-tweak-tool and docker-common. If you want to make sure you get the right thing just run:

sudo yum install gnome-tweak-tool docker-common

becaure

[student@centos LFT]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/docker /usr/bin/gnome-tweaks
    docker-common-1.13.1-161.git64e9980.el7_8.x86_64
    gnome-tweak-tool-3.28.1-7.el7.noarch

Don't worry about this and I'll get it fixed.

Categories

Upcoming Training