Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 5.1 logger message not seen

Hello,

I have set up both CentOS7 VMs on a Windows 10. I set up the firewall so that port 514 is open on each VM. I used a host-only adapter and I have edited the file /etc/rsyslog.conf to allow for both udp and tcp logging. After trying to initialize a log message on secondary I have checked main's /var/log/messages file and I have not been able to see a message. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380
    edited May 2020

Thank you for bringing this challenge to our attention. Moments ago I ran through this exercise and encountered the same symptom. My first troubleshooting step was to disable the firewall to prove that rsyslog was indeed functioning. It was and the lab functioned, error messages were sent from secondary to main.

I re-engaged the firewall and verified I had the ports set as documented. My firewall environment has two ZONES, PUBLIC and INTERNAL. The lab step to add the port was not specific as to which ZONE to use, so it used the the ZONE I did not want. The correction is:

Find all the ZONES:

firewall-cmd --last-all-zones

Look for "active" zones, note which adapter is connected to each zone. My INTERNAL zone uses adapter eth0 the host-only network.
    Add the ports in:

firewall-cmd --zone=internal --add-port=514/tcp

firewall-cmd --zone=internal --add-port=514/udp

You could add "--permanet" if you wish.

You can use:

firewall-cmd --list-all-zones

to verify which ZONE has which ports.

I hope that helps.
    Lee

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380
    edited May 2020

Darn auto correct.
    bad:

firewall-cmd --last-all-zones

good:

firewall-cmd --list-all-zones

Sigh, Lee

• Thanks that seems to have helped. I might not have been able to see the logger messages because I was sending messages between both machines at the same time though. Silly me. Take care

Categories

Upcoming Training