Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

login password

up until now there has been no problem logging into my system. now it refuses to take my password even when typed correctly. how do i bypass this to login??

Comments

• ...And your distro is?..
  • Endraya
    Endraya Posts: 4

Is you account locked (many distributions added brute-force protection in the PAM configuration for logons)?

Check this using the pam_tally2 command (sudo and --help for details, or the man pages) and use the pam_tally2 --unlock command to allow your account access again.

If the /etc/pam.d/system-login contains the lockout and the tallylog is not present in the /var/log/ directory, create it. (usually after 3-5 attempts and if you try again. within 600s, it will not unlock automatically, and well, it is not a uncommon issue).

Ty bypass passwords entirely, use your bootloader, hold shift if required to interrupt the start of GRUB, press 'e', a long line of jibberish (the kernel command line will show up), add 'init=/bin/sh' and press enter to start your system as the root user (this is a BAD solution).
    You should now have bypassed any password restriction and be logged on as the root user (which you really never should use).

The best solution to gain access:
    Chroot in to the system, mount the partitions, make the required repairs and then add a password to the bootloader to restrict it from allowing anyone to logon locally ;)

A system is not broken until the hardware has died and can always be fixed.

Categories

Upcoming Training