Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

compatable product listings

I am trying to find a wireless network adapter that will work with the new distribution of Ubuntu Linux. Can anyone tell me a good site to look for a listing, or somewhere the shows me how to get an existing usb adapter from Linksys to function?

Thank you

Comments

• kryptikos
    kryptikos Posts: 61
    Here's the Ubuntu documentation that specifically address wireless on that distro. It has a list of cards and card types and then community documentation on how to install/configure and run your wireless.

I run wireless on my ubuntu laptop without any problems. I've run the internal Intel/Broadcom chipset and a Linksys PCMCIA card as well (which uses the Broadcom Air Force chip).

The cool thing about Ubuntu is it has the capability to use restricted drivers. It's via the administration menu if you do it graphically. If you enable the restricted driver it will download, install and configure it for you. A nice feature.

I've had luck with both ndiswrapper and bcm43xx-fwcutter as well for Broadcom cards. I've found the fwcutter has worked more easily on Ubuntu (but that's personal experience).

Here's the link..
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

Hope that helps!

Cheers - Kryptikos
  • BarryM
    BarryM Posts: 23
    OK so my wireless adapter wasn't on the list and I created a page for it. What's next? I'm completely new to Linux and need to know how to work with hardware and drivers etc...
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You should be able to grab the .inf file from the windows xp version of the drivers for you card and use ndiswrapper to make it work. the commands would be:

sudo ndiswrapper -i {driver file}.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -m

After a reboot it will be detected and functional.

Categories

Upcoming Training