Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Newbie here, couple questions need answer

Hello! I started today LFS201. I'll give the exam on Ubuntu 18.04, and i have currently install Ubuntu Server in a VM for practice.
Is it OK, or i should use Ubuntu Desktop?
Also i have download from the course two tar archives: "RESOURCES" and "SOLUTIONS". What are these exactly? They contain .iso files.
Can i mount them as loopback or i have to burn them on a USB?

Best Answer

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Answer ✓

Most things will work fine with Ubuntu Server, but the course is really geared towards the desktop and you wont' be able to use Graphical interfaces, so I would recommend Server. It doesn't take that much space. You can proabably get the same result as a fresh install by doing ./ready-for.sh --install LFS201 (using the script mentioned in the doucments or at https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/prep)

The "SOLUTIONS" file contains a few scripts or configuration files used in the class, it is better to use these than try to cut and paste from the screen as that is error prone. You will be told where they occur as they go.

The "RESOURCES" file contains some small system images (.iso) files used in the virtualization chapters much later in the course. You can download them as well from the original sources-- you'll be told later.

But I don't recomment "server" as we haven't really tested on that as it is a small subsection of users.

Answers

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

I meant I "would not recommend Server" (typo)!

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144

Hi,

A short time ago there was a couple of issues with labs not working on Ubuntu Server. So, as Coop said, I recommend Ubuntu Desktop instead.

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training