Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

A quota question.

WarrenUK
WarrenUK Posts: 72

Hi.

I have setup a number of user accounts so I can play around with quota. I think I have set it up correctly by adding usrquota and grpquota to a partition in fstab. It is initialized and I can see aquota.user and aquota.group on the partition root.

Now my issue is editing the quotas, specifically blocks. My USB pen drive is formatted with ext4 defaults. When I do $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda it says the sector size is 512k. I take it this is nothing to do with the block size as the block size is controlled by the filesystem e.g. ext4 is default 4k block size. So 200MB would be 25000 4kb blocks?

Say I wanted user A to have a soft limit of 100MB and a hard limit of 200MB and max number of files = 10 files (10 inodes?). How would I enter this into the edquota file?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Hi @WarrenUK ,

Say I wanted user A to have a soft limit of 100MB and a hard limit of 200MB
    and max number of files = 10 files (10 inodes?). How would I enter this into the edquota file?

You do 'sudo quotaed -u '. Then you'll see something like this:

GNU nano 4.3 /tmp//EdP.acEf4O7
    Disk quotas for user luis (uid 1000):
    Filesystem blocks soft hard inodes soft hard
    /dev/sdb 4 0 0 1 0 0

So, you enter the desired values there. In the man edquota(8) we find these relevant details:

Block usage and limits are reported and interpreted as multiples of kibibyte (1024 bytes) blocks by default.
    Symbols K, M, G, and T can be appended to numeric value to express kibibytes, mebibytes, gibibytes, and
    tebibytes.

So, based on this you can do your tests and see how it works.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training