Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab Documents Should Explain How To Verify If Things Are Working as Expected

Options

One of the frustrations I'm finding with this class so far (Lab 2) is that we'll be told in the lab to run a command like:

**docker ps **

but the lab documents ought to include a screenshot or output example clearly explaining what we ought to be seeing if things are working correctly before moving on.

I'd also suggest that PDF's are just a terrible format for this type of class and students are wasting an incredible amount of time doing things like getting their YAML indented again after Adobe wrecks it.

Comments

• Niklaskkkk
    Options

@thatgeekinit said:
    One of the frustrations I'm finding with this class so far (Lab 2) is that we'll be told in the lab to run a command like:

**docker ps **

but the lab documents ought to include a screenshot or output example clearly explaining what we ought to be seeing if things are working correctly before moving on.

I'd also suggest that PDF's are just a terrible format for this type of class and students are wasting an incredible amount of time doing things like getting their YAML indented again after Adobe wrecks it.

Hi @thatgeekinit , I totally agree. I have put in this as a suggested improvement for the LFS272 course-developers.
    Best regards,

• BrettR
    BrettR Posts: 10
    Options

@thatgeekinit said:

**docker ps **

Totally understand the frustration you are experiencing. With any kind of training there are certain "assumptions". In this case - and to your exact example - **docker ps ** is very common docker command used to list the running containers. It will be helpful to spend few hours digging into some docker youtubes.. you will catch on quickly.

Here is a the best method to follow/copy/paste commands. This link is mentioned somewhere early on and may not have been promoted enough. https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/LFS272/Commands/

Hope that helps...

Good luck...

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,904
    Options

For easy copy/paste of the commands, check the instructions provided in the Course Resource page in the introductory chapter.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

"...getting their YAML indented again after Adobe wrecks it"

Never use Adobe for cutting and pasting, it is broken and the company could not care less. It introduces many problems. If you are using Linux you can use the native pdf readers such as evince and it will tend to be ok.

Categories

Upcoming Training