Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Parallels K8S Restarts

Hi All,

I know this isn't really supported, but I'm doing the course on my MBP using Parallels and multiple 18.0.4 virtual machines. I've managed to get up to Chapter 3 successfully! That's cool. What's not is that when I shut my VMs down or change networks (moving from work to home wifi for example), the K8s configuration loses network connectivity...basically I have to reset both master and the minion node and start over again.

Is there a graceful way to shutdown and restore the cluster?

On the good side, it is great reinforcement for the learnings so far, but I can imagine it getting annoying soon.

beren

Comments

• Hi @Beren,
    Are your VM IPs changing between restarts?
    If not, you may need to just check your kubelet.service on all nodes, and make sure it is running.

Regards,
    -Chris

• Beren
    Beren Posts: 7

Yes - the base IP addresses change when I move from one WiFi network to another.

• Beren

I got at least a partial fix! Now when I restart the VM, I have the cluster reloading. You must comment out the swap line in /etc/fstab or k8s will not load up on restart.

• Beren

Super happy to report that fixed the network issue too.

• Glad to hear your issue is resolved. The overview section of the first lab exercise mentions the requirement to permanently disable swap on your nodes.

Regards,
    -Chris

• Beren

Super happy to report that fixed the network issue too. > @chrispokorni said:

Glad to hear your issue is resolved. The overview section of the first lab exercise mentions the requirement to permanently disable swap on your nodes.

Regards,
    -Chris

agree - might be nice to add how...I figured it out tho...

Categories

Upcoming Training