Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 13: Stack 'cflinuxfs2' not found error

Hi, I am stuck on lab 13. I am getting the following error when attempting to push the app web-ui:

Getting app info...
Stack 'cflinuxfs2' not found
FAILED

the following manifest is being used

applications:

name: web-ui
random-route: true
buildpacks:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/ruby-buildpack.git#v1.6.35
memory: 128M
instances: 1
stack: cflinuxfs2

Comments

• @Tomlinmi You can override the stack property when pushing using the -s flag (ie -s cflinuxfs3).

• Hi,

No luck yet. This is the error I get now:

Downloaded app package (18K)
    It looks like you're deploying on a stack (currently set to cflinuxfs3) that's not supported by this buildpack.
    That could be because you're using a recent buildpack release on a deprecated stack.
    If you're using the buildpack installed by your CF admin, please let your admin know you saw this error message.
    If you at one point specified a buildpack that's at git URL, please make sure you're pointed at a version that supports this stack.
    Failed to compile droplet: Failed to compile droplet: exit status 44
    Exit status 223
    Cell e006260b-08b8-44d5-9c8c-06dffbc21935 stopping instance 329e4d86-7ef8-43c1-8802-953d09afaf2b
    Cell e006260b-08b8-44d5-9c8c-06dffbc21935 destroying container for instance 329e4d86-7ef8-43c1-8802-953d09afaf2b
    Error staging application: App staging failed in the buildpack compile phase
    FAILED

The manifest is referencing the build pack included in Lab13

applications:

• Ah ok. I should have checked that before making that recommendation. Sorry about that.

You should be able to change the buildpack URL to: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/ruby-buildpack.git#v1.7.44. This version of the buildpack will work on cflinuxfs3 which you can also change in the manifest or override on the command line. There is another similar issue in the UAA exercise I am working to resolve now.

Let me also explain what is happening. The stack is the root file system used to construct the containers which stage and run your app. The cflinuxfs2 stack was based on Ubuntu 14.04 while cflinuxfs3 is based on Ubuntu 18.04. cflinuxfs2 was recently removed completely. Version 1.6.35 of the ruby buildpack was based on cflinuxfs2 and therefore the app failed to stage. During the period that cflinuxfs2 and 3 were both supported, the buildpacks would support either.

I will submit an update to the course materials to correct this and the UAA exercise.

• spgreenberg
    spgreenberg Posts: 86
    edited October 2019

For the upcoming UAA exercise, you can update the two buildpack entries in the uaa-manifest.yml with: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack.git#v4.24 and set the stack to cflinuxfs3.

• @spgreenberg: thank you, the updated URL in the manifest works. Thank you also for the context, very helpful. I will refer to the update you provided in the UAA exercise.

• @Tomlinmi Regarding the upcoming UAA exercise, there is another required fix. In the uaa-manifest.yml, you will also need to set a new environment variable: JBP_CONFIG_TOMCAT: '{tomcat: { version: 8.0.+ }}'. I tested this end to end and it should work. I will caveat this by saying the exercise might have a troubleshooting problem as well. I will submit the updates to the class-artifact.tar now.

• @spgreenberg still on lab 13, I ran into another issue. I am not able to verify the web-ui connection to the rest-backend service. I created the rest-back-end service with the credentials of my roster app. However when I bind the web-ui to that service and launch the route to the web UI I get the follow error when I hit the view people button: Please connect your app to the rest data service
    Any thoughts on what I am missing?

• it is likely the name of the user provided service, the name of the parameter, or the value. You can check these values by running cf env web-ui.

• @spgreenberg said:
    Ah ok. I should have checked that before making that recommendation. Sorry about that.

You should be able to change the buildpack URL to: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/ruby-buildpack.git#v1.7.44. This version of the buildpack will work on cflinuxfs3 which you can also change in the manifest or override on the command line. There is another similar issue in the UAA exercise I am working to resolve now.

Let me also explain what is happening. The stack is the root file system used to construct the containers which stage and run your app. The cflinuxfs2 stack was based on Ubuntu 14.04 while cflinuxfs3 is based on Ubuntu 18.04. cflinuxfs2 was recently removed completely. Version 1.6.35 of the ruby buildpack was based on cflinuxfs2 and therefore the app failed to stage. During the period that cflinuxfs2 and 3 were both supported, the buildpacks would support either.

I will submit an update to the course materials to correct this and the UAA exercise.

@spgreenberg

I ran into the same issue. But, unfortunately your recommended solution failed with the following error.
    Do you know how it can be resolved ?

-----> Finalizing Ruby
    ERROR Gemfile.lock required
    Failed to compile droplet: Failed to run finalize script: exit status 12
    Exit status 223

• Working now after changing directory to the parent folder web-ui and just executing cf push.

But, there's nothing wrong in my syntax either (see below).

cf push -f ..\class-artifacts\web-ui\manifest.yml

• If you run cf push without specifying a path to the app source (the -p flag), you push the contents of whatever directory you are in. Therefore, you need to either be in the correct directory or you need to specify the -p flag.

• gerardocl
    gerardocl Posts: 11
    edited January 2021

I tested this exercise without the Tomcat version change (JBP_CONFIG_TOMCAT: '{tomcat: { version: 8.0.+ }}') and was getting an error during the redirection. According to the logs, it was something related to an invalid character in the Cookie.

@spgreenberg Do you mind elaborating on the issue and why this change was required?

Also, I tried a few flows in the app and found nothing requiring troubleshooting. Did I miss something? Is it related to the commented database values in the manifest?

Please let me know. Thanks!

• There is an inconsistency between the cookie format using different versions of Java. This is specific to Java and the JDK versions and not related to CF or the buildpack even.

Categories

Upcoming Training