Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Current information?

Options

Wondering if there is anywhere, these days, that has current information on CURRENT printers, as to whether they will work in any/all brands of linux??
Thanks.

Comments

• grantbennetalder
    Options

I don't understand the question.
    In my mind a current printer is one that Prints with today's software.

If the manufacturer's driver does not work, that's what the thousands of printers listed in the foomatic database is for.

• hornetster
    Options

I don't understand your answer...?
    Would be wonderful if you could buy ANY current printer, and it would work IMMEDIATELY without any extra input after installing software... This is NOT the case, with Linux (unfortunately.)
    eg bought a CURRENT HP printer (never buying HP again...) which is supposed to work off the bat, as long as you have the HP software installed, and, guess what?? Works SOMETIMES ok (seldom...), don't turn it on AFTER you've printed (unless you want to go through the trauma of turn EVERYTHING off and back on) etc etc, but mostly, need to do some further work, just to get it to print when I ask it.....
    Then went out and bought a Brother, and they are fully supported in Linux...
    So, Wondering if there is anywhere, these days, that has current information on CURRENT printers, as to whether they will work in any/all brands of linux?? is, indeed, a VERY VALID question.
    But, thanks, have answered it myself.

• grantbennetalder
    Options

did you look up your printers in the Foomatic data base, located here?

openprinting.org/printers

There may be a workable driver available.

If they work, don't work, or sometimes work, please add your experience to the database.

• hornetster
    Options

Hi.
    Yes, did look up, but neither the HP (Deskjet 2620), nor the Brother printer that I ended up buying (MFC-J890DW), were in the database. Yes, have now uploaded info on the Brother.
    Have decided the HP can't be used over network - useless! Seems to work OK local... OK, will probably upload some info on that...
    But I didn't appreciate your initial reply - was just plain wrong...

Categories

Upcoming Training