Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

error setting up august release in aws

I'm using an ubuntu 16.04 in aws free tier
I'm getting the following errors installing the master node

Installed - now to get Calico Project network plugin
[init] Using Kubernetes version: v1.15.1
[preflight] Running pre-flight checks
    [WARNING IsDockerSystemdCheck]: detected "cgroupfs" as the Docker cgroup driver. The recommended driver is "systemd". Please follow the guide at https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/cri/
error execution phase preflight: [preflight] Some fatal errors occurred:
    [ERROR NumCPU]: the number of available CPUs 1 is less than the required 2
[preflight] If you know what you are doing, you can make a check non-fatal with `--ignore-preflight-errors=...`
Running the steps explained at the end of the init output for you
cp: cannot stat '/etc/kubernetes/admin.conf': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access '/home/ubuntu/.kube/config': No such file or directory

Is the following error a blocking error?
[ERROR NumCPU]: the number of available CPUs 1 is less than the required 2

/etc/kubernetes/ has been created but admin.conf is missing
due to the missing config file I get the following error later on on the script execution

The connection to the server localhost:8080 was refused - did you specify the right host or port?

Comments

• Hi @crixo,
    Such an error is expected if the VM/EC2 instance is not sized accordingly. 2 CPUs and about 8 GB of memory are recommended node sizes when working with cloud instances. However, AWS Free Tier may limit you to 1 CPU EC2 instances.
    You would not be limited on GCP free tier, so you'd be able to create 2 CPU VMs.
    The following errors are all related to the first one - without enough CPU Kubernetes processes cannot be configured and initialized properly.

Regards,
    -Chris

• crixo
    crixo Posts: 31

Hi @chrispokorni, thanks a lot. Using a VM w/ 2 CPU solved the issue. I'm not sure if that requirement applies to master node(s) only or also to workers. k8s documentation does not explicitly specify if the 2 cpu rules applies to both node types

• @crixo Did you end up using GCP to get VM with 2 CPU on free trial?

Categories

Upcoming Training