Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Moblin on AMD Desktop?

I know it's made for netbooks and MID's, but I'd like to test her out on my desktop on a separate partition if it's possible. Anyone know if it's possible?

Also, I have an AMD processor. There is mention of it being for Intel procs. Does this create a problem?

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    http://moblin.org/

Intel Atom based netbooks.
  • That's too bad. It looks absolutely awesome! Wish there were a desktop version.
  • Goineasy9
    This is very interesting, Moblin 2.0 was released today, and the line from this page:
    http://moblin.org/documentation/test-drive-moblin/using-moblin-live-image
    Requirements
    * Any netbook or PC with an Intel graphics chipset, this includes most netbooks.
    Leads me to believe that it might work on an all Intel PC. My Dell Studio 17 is all Intel, I'm going to download the .img file and burn it to a usb stick and see what happens. Won't get to it tonight though, maybe tomorrow. Hmmm....very curious.
  • Stabgotham wrote:
    I know it's made for netbooks and MID's, but I'd like to test her out on my desktop on a separate partition if it's possible. Anyone know if it's possible?

Also, I have an AMD processor. There is mention of it being for Intel procs. Does this create a problem?
    Virtualbox might let you do it in a virtual environment. I can't be sure if it can successfully emulate Atom processors though.

As far as moblin goes; it's easy. Moblin is both a distribution and a platform. The Moblin distribution available at moblin.org is based on Fedora (I think) But the moblin software is also available in distributions like fedora, ubuntu and mandriva.
    So you could install fedora, ubuntu or mandriva, use the distribution's moblin packages and get the moblin experience on your machine without using the moblin images from moblin.org.
    The moblin images from moblin.org are intended to be a platform to showcase moblin and for OEMs to use to generate their own custom moblin images to pre-install on machines they manufacture.

So using the moblin ui with your amd may be possible in theory if you install the moblin packages for your distribution.
  • Goineasy9
    There are moblin packages listed during the install of Fedora 12. The img file from moblin.org is only for Atom processors though. The PC mentioned in my last post (after further reading) points to the eee desktop that's available. The next experiment is to do a fedora 12 install using the moblin option, and see if it works with other processors.
  • You can recompile The Kernel and remove Intel's chipset support and add AMD's one. (think so)

Is Moblin supported by Intel? so there is a sense why it does not run on AMD platform...

Categories

Upcoming Training